• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cost of having a reserve

4 posts in this topic

I plan on putting a whole bunch of coins up for auction within the next few months. In setting a reserve, are there any reccomendations? I understand that both seller's fees and buyback fees are negotiable, but what are your experiences?

Thanks for any advice you can give,

Mike

A lot depends on what you are auctioning and your expectations. If your coins are considered to be "ordinary" they will probably not do well. You should shop around for the best rate as competition in the numismatic auction business is very keen at the moment.

Most auction houses have a 'dealer' and 'customer' consignment fee schedule. Usually, I can get 100% of hammer price with a 5% buyback for consigments under $25,000. Over that amount, I usually get 1-2% of hammer. With some auction houses I can also waive the buyback fee. Terms are generous with smaller auction houses, but exposure is limited.

TRUTH news.gifangel.gifthumbsup2.gifsleeping.gif