• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1982 Denver Mint Pennies

9 posts in this topic

I've just found this Web Site - Don't know if you folks can help, but suspect someone out there has an answer for me.

I have just inherited my father's coins - he was a Numismatist. He had / I have, several bags of pennies, sealed by the Denver Mint, in 1982.

From what I'm seeing, the pennies changed mid-year? from copper to zinc. What date should be on the bags, to indicate which (copper or zinc) that I have?

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum Lar. Actyually there are 7 different types of lincolns for 1982.

1982P Copper Lg Date

1982P Copper Sm date

1982D Copper Lg Date

1982P Zinc Sm Date

1982P Zinc Lg Date

1982D Zinc Lg Date

1982D Zinc Sm Date

Thanks for your reply:

Since my bags are all from the Denver Mint, that narrows it down.... but I don't want to open the bags, to see if they are "small"or "large", and to see if they are copper or zinc. Is there a manufacture date (the bags are dated) that could narrow it down?

I DO wish to sell these pennies, and I'm thinking that they should remain in the "mint Sewn" bag, for a little more value as "uncirculated". Am I wrong in that thinking?

My main goal, is to not mis-represent them to a buyer.

Thanks

There's really no premium value as to any of the varieties. I would just list them as 1982D's if it were me. I doubt there would be anyone questioning as to the variety as to there is no particular demand for each that I have ever seen.

There's really no premium value as to any of the varieties. I would just list them as 1982D's if it were me. I doubt there would be anyone questioning as to the variety as to there is no particular demand for each that I have ever seen.

Actually, it might make a difference. Although it is technically illegal, the copper cents would be worth alot more to someone who is planning on melting them.

The last all-copper cents were produced by the Denver Mint on October 22, 1982.

Therefore your mint bags should have codes XXXOCT221982 and prior, in order for them to be copper composition.

I do believe the Feds fostered the copper Lincoln cents into the Jefferson nickel melt ban this past year.

The Chiniese and other 3rd world countries are very interested in our precious and semi-precious metals contained in coinage.

edit: I used pennies instead of cents, shame, shame.

There were no cents in mint sets in 1982 so you should get a decent premium for these from those seeking gems. The Philly zinc sm dt is the only one with a large premium but I suspect you'll get a little for these. If they are zinc the buyer might want some assurance that they aren't corroded since they so often are.

I would open that bag. There is a possibility that if the coins sat somewhere in the wrong invironment, they could be badly corroded or Oxydized. Also, may have been bounced all over the place. If you sell on ebay as is, be sure to mention that the bag has not been opened and you take no responsibility of the coins conditions. If they were kept in a decent area, they are probably all new looking. Although the Copper D mint ones are the least valuable of all the types.