• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's official! I will become an auction lot describer! (Disclaimer enclosed)

25 posts in this topic

If this post belongs in the "marketplace", someone please move it for me.

I've officially been enlisted by Scotsman Auction Company to assist in grading and describing auction lots for their next auction (October 19). I get to do some of the early material, which I'm really looking forward to!

Many of you have on occasion asked my opinion of certain lots, and I'll be happy to continue doing so. However, I do want to add this disclaimer that I can technically no longer guarantee my opinions to be "unbiased". I am being paid strictly on a flat rate, but even though I'll make absolutely no commission of any kind based on the final bid values, nonetheless, you should be aware that I am now an "insider" for the company.

That brings up another issue. It goes without saying that I cannot reveal any confidential information, so please don't ask. (I can tell you, though, the next auction will be awesome based on the material I've actually seen so far.)

Anyhow, I thought it was pretty cool. It's going to be a heck of a challenge, and I'll look forward to your comments and suggestions as the auction nears. For those who have no idea who Scotsman is, here's the website: https://www.scotsmanauctionco.com/Default.aspx

Congratulation James! If this is what you want I am happy for you. I feel that you will most certainly be up to the task and that Scotsman is lucky to have your services.

Congratulations, James. Frankly, they need some help with descriptions, and I'm glad for our sake as well as for yours that you landed the job. But please refer to yourself as a numismatic cataloguer instead of as an "auction lot describer." ;)

I have bought coins based on your descriptions and was very pleased so this a good fit. Have fun and do good :)

Do you get to wear a kilt?

Do you play the bagpipes while writing?

Hoot

Congrats James,,,I can't wait till I see you describing a CAC stickered coin (thumbs u

:baiting:

:jokealert:

Congratulations, James! That's quite an honor. I just hope they don't "pull" some of your honest opinions like eBay has done.

I have a favor to ask. Could you get one of the catalogs with your descriptions and autograph it for me?

Chris

Chris, I'll be glad to! By the way, one of the consignments in the upcoming sales is a complete set of Morgans (being sold off separately, of course).

Of course, I'm not admitting to collecting Morgans myself .....

:grin:

Chris, I'll be glad to! By the way, one of the consignments in the upcoming sales is a complete set of Morgans (being sold off separately, of course).

Of course, I'm not admitting to collecting Morgans myself .....

:grin:

I've never participated in any Scotsman auctions. Is there a site where I can view the listings and bid on them? By any chance, will you be describing any of the Morgans?

Hypothetical Description

"It's really a shame that this 1889-CC has been improperly cleaned more than once, because it surely would have graded MS65. Despite the fact that there are no distracting marks, it is totally devoid of lustre. This is defintely not a specimen that one could place in their Registry Set. But, I'll let you be the judge."

Chris :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

I've never participated in any Scotsman auctions. Is there a site where I can view the listings and bid on them? By any chance, will you be describing any of the Morgans?

Why, yes I will! Of course, I'll be nice.

Hypothetical Description

"It's really a shame that this 1889-CC has been improperly cleaned more than once, because it surely would have graded MS65. Despite the fact that there are no distracting marks, it is totally devoid of lustre. This is defintely not a specimen that one could place in their Registry Set. But, I'll let you be the judge."

You'd be surprised how close that is to past descriptions!! Take a look at: http://www.scoins.com for past examples.

Congratulations James! I'm sure your lots will be the hilight of the auction! (thumbs u

I have to share a tidbit - don't be disappointed if your descriptions get edited beyond recognition.

My brother works for a large auction company, and every time he puts "PVC" in an auction description - it gets changed in the final revision to "Light Green Residue". lol