• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade... 1895 $5 newp

15 posts in this topic

So... I think I'm mounting a steep learning curve for gold. After spending quite a bit of time with my first acquisition over the past weekend I learned alot... I got this one today...

Thoughts as to grade...will it BB...is it real...

"only the shadow knows for sure..."

Oh...BTW...sorry for my photographic "skills"...or lack thereof...

1895_5dollargold013.jpg

1895_5dollargold005.jpg

1895_5dollargold009.jpg

Nice original looking coin. Stars aren't well split and there a die crack through eagle's right wing, so I'll give it the benefit of a weak strike and say MS63. No way it'll come back lower than AU55, even if someone mistakes the weak strike for wear. And if it gets body bagged the graders must have been smoking crack that day.

The coin has a nice overall look, (from the images). I would say AU 55 maybe 58 depending on the presence/extent of wear on the tips of the wings on the reverse which I could not really determine. There is wear on the tip of the Coronet obviously.

But, it appears that this coin is already in a slab, (NGC?) if so, is it not already graded?

Rey

I agree here also that it looks MS62. Looks like a nice die crack on the Rev. I also agree with Rey that this is already in a slab.