• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washington State Quarter "COPY"

9 posts in this topic

I have a Washington State quarter with the word "COPY" stamped on the head.

Does anyone know what this quarter would be worth? Please l;et me know if you have an idea of the value.

You can E-Mail me at clane106@yahoo.com You can see thia quarter at:

http://blane101.tripod.com/img003.jpg

Thank You

Looks like a National Collector's Mint piece which would make it a replica, not a coin. MunkyMan95's guess on value is probably a good one though shmort6552's guess of 0.24 cents ATS may not be that bad either.

Looks like a National Collector's Mint piece which would make it a replica, not a coin. MunkyMan95's guess on value is probably a good one though shmort6552's guess of 0.24 cents ATS may not be that bad either.

Why would they replicate a modern Washie?

1999 proof maybe? those are not that cheap...
Perhaps, the image is of an "S" proof. If they sell it for the same price as the US Mint real one or just below, they'd be making a killing. The US Mint doesn't even need to be sold out. It's all about the marketing and spin.

I don't know about Washies but remember the 2006 Franklin dollars that sold out at the Mint and then stagnated in the secondary market? NCM made silver-plated clad versions of those! Their profit margin on a per round basis may be higher than the US Mint because the US Mint uses 90% silver, not some nano-plating. The US Mint also does the heavy lifting from a marketing perspective.

It could be just about the profits from marketing and selling to unwitting. How many home coin shoppers know anything about what they're buying and can they tell the difference between a NGC slabbed coin and a NCM copy?

I'm not saying this is definitively a NCM replica, but it looks like one.

dieset.jpg

Looks to me like post-mint application from a common letter die punch set and not very well placed at that. I do think it is a silver proof Statehood quarter because the die impressions did not disturb a clad core. Now it is worth the weight of silver bullion...2 bucks.

blane101 welcome to the forum but this is not like an answering service where we e-mail the answer to your question. These are two-way streets here, you need to come back to see if your question has been sufficiently answered.

Blaine: WoodenJefferson is correct. You will get a lot more answers/help if you stay involved in the boards. 99% of my questions are dumb because I'm learning but the great people here will help every time if they know you are sincerely interested.

I have had so much help with coin photography from these boards ( MikeinFl especially). Why??? I think its because I am not afraid to ask. When you ask, these people will help.

Remember, no question is dumb if you're trying to learn!!

You won't find better people to help than on these boards, just be honest and a little thank you will never hurt!!!

Welcome

Bruce