• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1926 Sesqui market

11 posts in this topic

I was thinking of putting an MS64 Sesqui up for auction. Then I checked the auction catalogues and there have been tons of MS64 Sequis up for auction and tons of them have not been sold. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

This is an overrated commem in MS64. The consignors (or dealers) know it and are afraid they will lose money if they don't put a high reserve on it. As a result many of them don't sell...because they don't deserve to.

If you're referring to the Sesqui HALF then the price guides are out of whack for the MS64 grade. They are a PITA to sell for decent money. If it is an average coin you'd be lucky to get Bluesheet for it.

I agree with 291. Sesquis in MS64 are definitely overpriced in the current marketplace. I believe the coin should be a premium over MS64, but not multiples. However, many MS64 in PCGS holders are sold as 'shot' coins for the next grade in MS65, so the premiums can be justified for really PQ coins. To date, I don't think NGC knows how to grade Sesqui 50C in MS64, 65, 66. Most MS65s look like original MS63's at best.

TRUTH

there are always exceptions to the rules

i have seen an ngc ms65 sesqui (((see attachment))) that would be as good if not better ((( and better than most pcgs ms65 coins))))

than ANY pcgs coin

but of course this coin is uncommon as such

michael

hard to tell from the scans but it is all there

the coin is lightly toned not seen in the scan

the white lines/marks on the obverse are onthe holder

the pass and stow and other markings on the liberty bell are all there a way WAY!! above average strike on the reverse and totally original undipped

254933-sesqui.jpg.c113b103c0c45490007ee64d0ad28f17.jpg

My experience is that 64 Sesqui's cover a huge range of quality, from dull dipped out coins, to ugly brown crusties to beautiful almost proof-like coins that somebody was just barely unwilling to call a 65 due to softness of strike. The range of values varies accordingly, from below bluesheet to 3x. The Sesqui's that Heritage has been trying to sell in its internet auctions tend to be in the first (ugly) category. I personally have paid $1,000 for a 64 Sesqui and am not embarrassed to admit it. Similarly, there are many 65's out there that are just plain ugly. These coins are not 'rare' below the 66 level.

Weren't their mintage greater that 100,000? This would hardly make the issue rare, yet, since it was coined in such low relief, the higher grades certainly are scarce.

I recently bought an ms 63 sesqui for $150. The reverse is almost pristine! Very nice; however, the obverse has deep scratches in George's cheek. I bought it to fill the four commem slots in my Dansco Type album.

The four commemoratives that I chose to fill the slots are as follows: 1892 Columbian (nice, original coin), 1926 sesqui (which is directly below the Franklin half type. This compares the two Liberty bell reverses nicely), 1982 Washington half (paired with the Washington sesqui), and the 1992 Columbian half (which pairs with the 1892).

"Chippewa" hit it on the nose.

The 1926 Sesqui half dollar was struck from very shallow dies. The impressions on most coins were very poor, and in fact the dies were so shallow that they often could not remove the marks that were on the original planchets. Quite often if you see minor marks on the highest part of the portraits, those were on the coin before it was struck, not placed there later.

This coin almost does not exist in grades higher than MS-64. Sure there are coins out there is MS-65 holders, but most of them don't really make the grade. Really nice MS-64 coins are worth $500 or so, wholesale. Average or ucky MS-64s are worth less, sometimes at lot less. That 's why you see the wide range of prices for these coins.

And no the mintage of 100,000 pieces is NOT a fair reflection of what attractive MS-63 and 64 examples of this coin are worth. Attractive examples are not that easy to locate.

there are always exceptions to the rules

i have seen an ngc ms65 sesqui (((see attachment))) that would be as good if not better ((( and better than most pcgs ms65 coins))))

than ANY pcgs coin

but of course this coin is uncommon as such

If anyone is looking for a nice one, in the last 6 months or so there have been several (5+) nice foamy sea green MS65s and an MS66 that have hit the market in NGC slabs. I assume they all came from the same source since the toning is very similar. I've seen them in several dealers inventory so they are making the rounds.

a great thread with super information

for me the sesqui has to be the most hastely put together poorly made coins of the 20 th century

ANY true ms 65/especially so 65++ coin that is originaL AND undipped and above average strike is a sleeper undervalued coin

at least/most probably 30% to 40% in ms65 holders are not true ms65 coins! ! in other words they are NOT solid to solid plus for the grade coins that are totally original and above average in strike strike is the key with this coin of course along with no major marks mintmade and/or otherwise

to get a

one)

true nice for the grade ms65 sesqui

two) with an original undipped skin white or colored

three) and above average strike this combo is a rare bird for ms65 and again 30% to 40% of the coins in ms65 holders just do not make the grade so to speak

and for strike i am talking about the full words on the bell on the reverse!

michael

also there are many super nice ms64 coins that maybe close to ms65 but still miles away so to speak

i guess with sesquis in my minds eye it is all there on the above three points or NOT there is no inbetween

i would love to see the majority of the ms66 coins graded this would be a sIGHT TO SEE if they are all there! or if they are just really super nice ms65 coins with extraordinary cheeks!!