• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAKE 1868 $1 GOLD

7 posts in this topic

I came across this in an old estate. I thought the clash marks above the headdress and the die crack were very interesting. You can notice the double strike along the hair on the back of the neck and in the clouds. Also note the double rim between 6 on 9 o'clock. The reeding is very sharp like it was done yesterday with a file. Overall the strike is a little mushy.

Has anyone else come across one of these?

254363-DSC00105.JPG.7e290bd575da35b5f9c5c041694ad8da.JPG

I was thinking the same thing myself. I suppose one could do a specific gravity test but I have no idea how to do it or where to get it done. It would probably cost more than the gold content ( if any).

A specific gravity test will not help you in this case because you don't know the other metals used to make up this fake. The best it could do is give you an idea if the fake is possibly substantially gold or is likely only gold-plated. Weighing the coin would do the same for you in this case.

One might perfom some X-ray diffraction tests and the like on this piece but it is not worth it.

Greg, the discoloration is just light reflection. Overall the color is nice, but the rims and reeding is just too sharp. It doesn't have the right "feel". I think it is a struck copy.

PS I like your new sig line.