• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Buyers: Please Help Us Sellers And Note The Following

51 posts in this topic

rantrant rantrant rantrant rantrant rantrant

Now I know that no one here would ever do any of these things :yeahok:, but just in case I thought I would blow off some helpful hints for eBay users.

Your address listed in PayPal.

Many sellers have software that automatically grabs this address for shipping. Some people type their information like:

jim d. jones

123 main str.

apt. 17

ny, ny 10212

Is it that hard to properly enter your name/address ONCE in PayPal so that all your sellers don't have to spend time editing it into the proper format? It's not a crime to capitalize your name. Nor is it wrong to use the correct abbreviation for Street, Avenue, etc. Your apartment number would look so snappy on the same line as your address! PO Box can be spelled out just as easily as POB.

Have you shipped my package yet?

Did you know that you can check the auction listing and it may inform you if the seller has shipped your item? There is a button "Mark Item Shipped" that many sellers will use. If they ship thru PayPal it will update this information to show that the item has been shipped.

Please check the auction before emailing the seller. Same if you want to know if the seller received your payment.

Can I have the Tracking Number?

1) What makes you think there even is a tracking number?

2) If I give it to you, it still won't tell you anything as the USPS system doesn't get updated until the item is out for delivery or delivered.

Unless it went Express Mail or is way past due, stop asking for the tracking number!

It's been 4 days and I haven't received my package yet!

Well let me call the US Postmaster General and get them on the case. I'll also see if I can pull some FBI agents off tracking Al-Qaeda to see if they can join in the search for your delayed Sacagawea dollar.

Worst example, a guy emailed me Tuesday morning to complain that he hadn't received his coin. The auction ended Sunday evening and he lived 2,500 miles from me.

Come on, would it kill you to wait 10 days after the shipment date show before asking about it?

If 1 email is OK, then 5 must be better.

Nothing like getting 5 emails spread over a 3 hour period. Perhaps, just perhaps, the seller is busy doing other things?

Ask Seller A Question (and hide your email address).

Please do not check the option to hide your email address from the seller. This requires us to login to eBay to respond to the question thru their system that strips out all formatting.

I now delete all questions without answering them where the person has chosen to hide their email address.

Ask Seller A Question (an hour before the auction ends).

Never understood why some people wait until the last minute to ask questions. I've literally had questions asked a couple minutes before the auction ends.

I always enjoy the requests for more pictures when the auction has 10 minutes left to run. :mad:

Spam filters.

I've sent you two emails and you've never replied. You suck. I guess you don't want my business.

I got that email from two people this week. Both I had replied to before. Perhaps checking your spam filters before going off on a tirade would be helpful? You might just find emails sitting there incorrectly flagged as spam.

I want to return the coin, so I'm going to file a PayPal dispute.

I've had this happen twice to me recently. Buyer who wants to return the coin files a PayPal dispute and the funds get "locked" in the PayPal account.

What ever happened to a simple return? The above is not a good way to handle a return. It is a good way to off the seller, get a negative feedback, and have the seller screw around with you for weeks on end!

All the above would make a sellers life so much better.

Honorable mention:

• Why do you charge so much for shipping?
    To make money off you.

• Mainly non-US buyers asking why do you charge so much for Registered Mail?
    Because I know all you foreigners are thieves.

• I think it's rude you didn't contact me after the auction was over!
    Sorry, I didn't think you were so stupid you couldn't read the payment instructions in the auction or the automatically generated email eBay send you.

• Mainly non-US buyers asking after they have paid for standard shipping to have the item shipped via Express Mail
    Sorry. Our Post Office doesn't offer Express Mail to 3rd World Countries like yours.

• Please lie on the customs form
    Of course. I don't care if I screw your country out of taxes. That's why all the foreign buyers say I'm the best eBay seller!

I'm sure other sellers here will have their pet peeves that they could share.

Do you feel better now?

This just in...there are more important things than making your life easier as a seller -- like making my life easier as a buyer. ;)

You are making a profit on selling, so "you should be responsible for your own actions" (sound familiar?) and live with the challenges you face when offering items for sale on eBay...Mike

p.s. the post office will deliver packages w/o capitalization just fine, and some people choose not to share eMail addresses because of spam and because it may give away personal information they would rather not share at this point of the transaction, and the rest of your issues are, well, rather obvious.

As a buyer myself:

WHAT I DO: Pay instantly

If item is over $100 value, ask for tracking number.

When item receives, leave positive feedback that same day.

WHAT I EXPECT FROM SELLER:

Send email when item ships & provide trkg# if available.

Leave proper feedback when payment is received. (My end of the

bargain has been completed.)

I don't complain to sellers I've bought from. Twice I have had to request them leave me feedback and this was after 2 weeks of me leaving feedback for them. I have paid for first class mail (2-3days) and received item with parcel postage(7-9days). I think sellers need to have a little consideration for thier buyers as to it is the buyers that is making the sellers living. I understand some of your issues as to asking questions in a decent alloted time frame. I think most things are abbreviated nowadays, so names and states shouldn't be an issue. There are those that do not like messing with the CAPS button when filling out forms.

Do you feel better now?

Yes, I do.

This just in...there are more important things than making your life easier as a seller -- like making my life easier as a buyer. ;)

But wouldn't you like your purchase shipped as fast as possible? I personally delay mailing those with deformed addresses until all the other ones have been shipped out. Why should your lack of consideration cause other people to have delayed shipments? It may take an extra couple days before your package gets mailed out. I'm sure many other sellers do the same.

You are making a profit on selling, so "you should be responsible for your own actions" (sound familiar?) and live with the challenges you face when offering items for sale on eBay...Mike

That does not mean you cannot try to educate people. You should know I like to help educate stupid people. I'm like Mother Theresa.

and some people choose not to share eMail addresses because of spam and because it may give away personal information they would rather not share at this point of the transaction

If they think they are going to be spammed, then they shouldn't be doing any business with that person. I'm not sure what personal information an email address is going to reveal, but if they're that paranoid then they should seek help.

Greg, I agree in part with what you are saying, but keep in mind you are dealing with many buyers who if not first timers are still new(they get excited about winning a bid and want it right away without thinking), some just happened on your auction minutes before the bidding ends and without thinking send you a question(shame on you if its about combined shipping and not already answered on your site), some are just stupid(but still are the customers you have elected to deal with). None are interested in helping make a sellers life easier.

By the way, are you one of the sellers currently utilizing the intimidation factor of not giving a buyer feedback until they give you feedback after receiving your auction item? If so, you are a bully. A buyer automatically deserves feedback, as soon as they pay(be it good or bad), and a seller deserves feedback as soon as the auction item is received(good or bad).

Thats how it should work, but some sellers are afraid of bad feedback so they intimidate the buyer with the threat of negative feedback to force them to give the seller positive feedback, whether they deserve it or not.

If you do not adhere to this policy of intimidation, hooray for you, because you are in a small group of sellers and will make my use list.

Great luck!

Jim

You'd be surprised how few of the newer buyers create hassles. Many of the hassles I encounter are from buyers that have been on eBay for a while and have decent feedback.

I know that few are interested in helping make a sellers life easier. However, if some would take the time to make things easier, then items get shipped faster and real questions get answered faster. It's a win-win for everyone.

To clear some things up:

My shipping policy is easy: Flat rate listed in auction no matter how many items you win. One or one hundred items does not matter. It all ships for the same price and insurance is included. One recent buyer won 228 slabs from me that will all ship for $4.75.

My feedback policy is just as simple. Let me know the item arrived and you're happy and I'll leave you feedback. You do not have to leave me feedback first or even any at all. A simple email to me letting me know will result in feedback for you.

eBay also recommends that feedback should be give once the transaction is complete and it is complete after the buyer has accepted the item.

But wouldn't you like your purchase shipped as fast as possible? I personally delay mailing those with deformed addresses until all the other ones have been shipped out. Why should your lack of consideration cause other people to have delayed shipments? It may take an extra couple days before your package gets mailed out. I'm sure many other sellers do the same.

Yes, I would like my package shipped as fast as possible, but again it is not the buyer's fault that your demands on address capitalization and punctuation are greater than those requried by the USPS. Like I said before, the PO will have no problem figuring it out, so why are your panties in a wad over it?

That does not mean you cannot try to educate people. You should know I like to help educate stupid people. I'm like Mother Theresa.

I forgot that I had you pigenholed for someone who's only concerned with their own self-interest (as evidenced by all but your last post -- each of them makes more work for the buyer and less for the seller), when in truth (sic) you are really here to selflessly help all of us tomfools. Silly me. doh!

Again, Greg, I think you have the roles reversed. It is not my job as a buyer to make your life easier, it is your job as a seller to be accomodating to my needs in return for your profit. Said simply, the harder you make it for me to spend my money with you, the less money you will get from me...Mike

Having been a low-calibur ebayer since '98-99, when the only thing you could get on eBay is used hard drives, and damn cheap at that....lol

I think the system has improved immensely, payment is almost instaneous. rarely do people wait weeks to pay anymore. A Feedback is a culture onto its own, so a seller doesnt have to go begging for feedback. Even buyers need feedback, now.

As for addresses, I used to get 2 or 3 different addresses in all kinds fonts, etc. when i asked where to ship things.

I'll certainly take your advice, I do most all of those things now. I've been guilty of the "where's my package" emails too. Just to find out, the seller actually shipped it 2-3 days he said.

I think you should hire an intern to handle customer facing issues. ;)

rantrant rantrant rantrant rantrant rantrant

Gee Greg, tell us what you really think!! lol

I am in total agreement with you. I will add one at the end but on this comment...

Your address listed in PayPal.

Many sellers have software that automatically grabs this address for shipping. Some people type their information like:

jim d. jones

123 main str.

apt. 17

ny, ny 10212

Is it that hard to properly enter your name/address ONCE in PayPal so that all your sellers don't have to spend time editing it into the proper format? It's not a crime to capitalize your name. Nor is it wrong to use the correct abbreviation for Street, Avenue, etc. Your apartment number would look so snappy on the same line as your address! PO Box can be spelled out just as easily as POB.

One of the tools that I use to help me with addresses is the Zip Code Service at the US Postal Service. Not only does it help me convert addresses, but it verifies the zip code and adds the +4 code, which sometimes helps.

Some day, I will convert my crude program that converts addresses like these and submits them to the USPS for full correction. I can give them an address like the above and it will open your browser to the USPS site with the address information. It's cool, but it's a very bad interface that needs to be updated before I release it to the public.

I'm sure other sellers here will have their pet peeves that they could share.
rantrant How about "I just missed your auction, will you sell me your item at your list price?" Most of the times I will relist the item with a Buy It Now and the person does not buy the item! So in trying to be a nice guy, I wasted the listing fees.

rantrant How about foreign buyers who wants to pay me in cash in the equivalent of their country's money? Sorry... I'm selling US coins that are to be purchased in US currency (real or electronic). I don't accept that requires more postage to mail large amounts of the currency than using PayPal to send me dollars! That's right... I'm a dirty American who will just deal in dollars!

rantrant How long does it take to send to ? I can give you a standard answer, but I don't know. Customs enforcement is different between countries and so is transit time. It takes 3-5 days for the package to leave the US. Once it is passed our messed up postal service, you need to deal with your messed up postal service. Once the package is in transit, it is out of my control. Don't person_without_enough_empathy to me... I did my part!

rantrant A buyer will write I am not leaving feedback for you until you leave feedback for me. Ya know, Skippie... my listing says it is my policy to do it the other way around. I send it, you receive it, you're happy, leave feedback. My listing management service leaves feedback when it is left for me--not before. This is my policy. You don't like it? Then don't buy from me.

rantrantYou charged me x for the postage, but the package came with y in stamps. You owe me the difference! Guess again, Skippie... the price is for shipping and handling. Envelopes, packaging, and my time does cost something. What about the gas bill to drive to the post office to mail your package? Then there are other fees I have to deal with, like eBay selling fees and PayPal. I have to at least break even on the shipping and handling fees--this is a business venture, not altruism. I think I am reasonable. But these are my prices... you don't like it, don't buy from me!

Ok... I just said one, but I couldn't resist!! :tonofbricks:

Scott :hi:

Yes, I would like my package shipped as fast as possible, but again it is not the buyer's fault that your demands on address capitalization and punctuation are greater than those requried by the USPS. Like I said before, the PO will have no problem figuring it out, so why are your panties in a wad over it?

You didn't seem to grasp the part where I mention that many sellers have software that automatically grabs the addresses from PayPal. If your address is screwed up, the software will tell you it is incorrect and prevent you from printing postage. A shipper then has to manually edit this information. This causes a slow down in shipping. If your software doesn't catch it, it may result in the package being misaddressed and potentially getting lost or delivered to a wrong address. That is something a buyer should worry about.

USPS has an address correction service that will delay your letter/package for a day or two. So if they can delay your package and it is acceptable, then I will do the same so that I can ensure the package is delivered and there is no problems.

Again, Greg, I think you have the roles reversed. It is not my job as a buyer to make your life easier, it is your job as a seller to be accomodating to my needs in return for your profit. Said simply, the harder you make it for me to spend my money with you, the less money you will get from me...Mike

I think it's a two way street. If you want the best service, you will have to provide the best information. If you can't provide an accurate address that can be used in an automated manner, then I will have to start raising my rates in order to manually handle the problems.

Automated services help keep prices down. If you want me to accommodate you, it comes at a cost. Remember, this is not altruism, it is business. If you make the cost of business go up, I have to charge more. I would rather keep costs down than charge more. But if that's how you like it, then let me know and i will raise my prices!!

Scott :hi:

I will have to admit that for some things you are legit with your rant. But I will tend to disagree with you Greg and you Scott. I don't care to deal with sellers that try to intimidate me with not leaving feedback until I have left for them. This to me shows that there is a lack of positive satisfaction of the product you have sold. I have sold and left feedback as soon as the buyer paid. I know the product I have sold is described accurately and if someone buys, they know what they've bought. Just for this reason alone, I have marked sellers off my buy list. I do not like someone who trys to intimidate me when I am purchasing thier product with my hard earned money.

But I will tend to disagree with you Greg and you Scott. I don't care to deal with sellers that try to intimidate me with not leaving feedback until I have left for them.

I'm sorry, but how is my feedback policy intimidating to buyers? Let me know you're happy and I'll leave feedback. You don't need to go first. Let me know you're unhappy and I'll work to fix the problem.

I used to leave feedback when buyers paid. Then I started getting scammers trying to take advantage of that and threatening me with negative feedback. Several years ago a buyer of a computer part tried to return it a month later after buyer a newer version from someone else. They threatened me with negative feedback if I didn't take it back. That was the last straw for me. While my new policy wouldn't eliminate this from happening, it sure reduces the chance of it happening.

I certainly respect the eBay culture and feedback is an important part of it. But feedback is like mutual fund returns, past performance is no indication of future results.

I've had sellers with 1000s of feedbacks just disappear, and I've had the best service from ones with <100. The best tool for me as a buyer is that paypal "protection", I've used that on more than one occasion. Not very often, and never without repeated attempts to contact the seller.

As a buyer, I look for trends of feedback not a particular match between two negs. Bully away it has very little impact on me.

You didn't seem to grasp the part where I mention that many sellers have software that automatically grabs the addresses from PayPal. If your address is screwed up, the software will tell you it is incorrect and prevent you from printing postage. A shipper then has to manually edit this information. This causes a slow down in shipping. If your software doesn't catch it, it may result in the package being misaddressed and potentially getting lost or delivered to a wrong address. That is something a buyer should worry about.

And you seem unable to grasp that it is not MY fault that YOUR software can't figure it out -- again, if the PO doesn't care, why should you (or your software)? I'm still waiting for an answer to that one. And please don't repeat yourself that a package will be misdelivered/delayed because of lack of capitalization/punctuation or incorrect abbreviations -- that is simply not true.

USPS has an address correction service that will delay your letter/package for a day or two. So if they can delay your package and it is acceptable, then I will do the same so that I can ensure the package is delivered and there is no problems.

We are not talking about address correction service -- remember these are pre-verified PayPal addresses that lack correct capitalization, abbreviations, and punctuation. They will be delivered just fine without delay. Greg may not like the way it looks, and the software he uses may not be able to correct the obvious mistakes, but they will be delivered just fine as-is....

I think it's a two way street. If you want the best service, you will have to provide the best information. If you can't provide an accurate address that can be used in an automated manner, then I will have to start raising my rates in order to manually handle the problems.

Automated services help keep prices down. If you want me to accommodate you, it comes at a cost. Remember, this is not altruism, it is business. If you make the cost of business go up, I have to charge more. I would rather keep costs down than charge more. But if that's how you like it, then let me know and i will raise my prices!!

Again, Scott, there's nothing wrong with the address -- the problem is in how Greg's software handles them. Just because he's implemented an automated process doesn't mean that I should have my package delayed because my confired PayPal address isn't accepted by the software.

However, I agree that it is a two way street, but in my opinion, there should be more lanes running in the seller's direction than the buyer's.

To wit, the issue goes deeper than just the addressing issue -- it is simply that Greg seems to be offloading the responsibilities on the buyers to make his life easier. Do things MY way, he says. My main point is that this is backwards, and I'm rather surprised to hear anyone with any signficant sales experience say otherwise, but not that unsurprising considering the (original) source and the backwardness of his morals elsewhere. :baiting: ...Mike

And you seem unable to grasp that it is not MY fault that YOUR software can't figure it out -- again, if the PO doesn't care, why should you (or your software)? I'm still waiting for an answer to that one. And please don't repeat yourself that a package will be misdelivered/delayed because of lack of capitalization/punctuation or incorrect abbreviations -- that is simply not true.

Mike, are you trying to be difficult?

The PO very much cares if the address is printed incorrectly. This isn't about capitalization, but rather incorrectly listing your address.

MY software verifies the addresses with the Post Office before printing them. If it comes back with an error message, then clearly the Post Office has a problem with the address. Now you can state otherwise, but I'm going to have to go with the Post Office stating it is a problem over you stating it isn't a problem.

If MY software can't figure it out, then YOUR package gets delayed. Got it?

If YOU can't properly enter in your address, then why should I care if YOUR package is delayed? Got it?

I suspect that MY software is one of the most popular ones used by eBay sellers, so it's not just ME encountering this. Got it?

If suggesting that people make sure their address is listed properly in their PayPal account is so horrific to you, then please let us all know your eBay ID so we can block you from ever accidentally bidding on our auctions.

I understood you the first time, Greg. And yes, I'm being difficult. You're easy to get riled up, I like you calling me dumb, and I enjoy a healthy debate.

That said, you seem to be mistaking what the software thinks the post office needs to correctly deliver a package with what they really need.

A little experiement...

Mail two packages to the same person:

stupid addressee

123 main str

apt 2

ny ny 10001

and

Stupid Addressee

123 Main St., Apt. 2

NY, NY 10001

They will be delivered at the same time. What you seem to be missing is that these packages will be sorted and delivered by a human, and not your little program. Again, just because you've implemented a process that requires better accuracy in the addresses, doesn't mean the post office needs the same info to deliver it.

Perhaps you should be complaining to your software developer, who can't figure out how to capitalize and correct common mistakes (after all, I assume you are paying for this software and as a customer can require what you will of your service providers), rather than your buyer who has provided you an address the PO is perfectly capable of delivering without delay.

Eventually you might figure out that it isn't all about you, Greg, and the path to successful sales is being receptive to your customer's needs (and inadequacies)...Mike

p.s. my eBay handle is mrement. And you will be happy to hear my address is up to your software's standards, and I would find it extremely hard to believe I'd ever buy from you -- but go ahead and block away. I'm really an easy buyer to deal with, it's only on this forum (and others) that I can be difficult.

That said, you seem to be mistaking what the software thinks the post office needs to correctly deliver a package with what they really need.

A little experiement...

stupid addressee

123 main str

apt 2

ny ny 100001

and

Stupid Addressee

123 Main St.

Apt. 2

NY, NY 10001

They will be delivered at the same time. What you seem to be missing is that these packages will be sorted and delivered by a human, and not your little program.

First off, the software CONTACTS the Post Office to see what it wants. If the PO says it is not formatted correctly, I want to fix that.

Perhaps the above two would be delivered at the same time. However, this will be faster than the other two and reduce the potential for a lost package:

Smart Addressee

123 Main St., Apt. 2

New York, NY 10001

You seen to have much faith in the human postman. Perhaps I would too if I didn't keep getting mail addressed to Ms. Dalmsen, who hasn't owned my place in 5 years (with another owner in between us).

Again, just because you've implemented a process that requires better accuracy in the addresses, doesn't mean the post office needs the same info to deliver it.

Accuracy reduces problems with lost packages and reduces shipping time. Personally, as a BUYER I'd want to reduce both those for my sellers. I'd want them to be shipped as fast as possible and have as little a chance as possible of them getting lost. I see your views differ. That's fine.

A little experiement...

stupid addressee

123 main str

apt 2

ny ny 100001

and

Stupid Addressee

123 Main St.

Apt. 2

NY, NY 10001

They will be delivered at the same time. What you seem to be missing is that these packages will be sorted and delivered by a human, and not your little program.

Perhaps the above two would be delivered at the same time. However, this will be faster than the other two and reduce the potential for a lost package:

Smart Addressee

123 Main St., Apt. 2

New York, NY 10001

Would you like to wager on that (the faster part)?

A little experiement...

stupid addressee

123 main str

apt 2

ny ny 100001

and

Stupid Addressee

123 Main St.

Apt. 2

NY, NY 10001

Smart Addressee

123 Main St., Apt. 2

New York, NY 10001

Would you like to wager on that (the faster part)?

I'm willing to try an experiment.

I did that earlier with forum member TJ where I listed his zip code and no city or state and it arrived just fine.

No

(shrug) Well, so much for that..

"A" for effort dude.. (thumbs u

But the truith of the matter is that it would be very boring if we all got along.. :popcorn:

I agree this post has gotten a little further away from it's original intentions. But as I read each and every response, I do tend to see a one-way point of view here. I know I won't deal with a seller that I contact about an item I'm waiting for and I'm told I should have had my address in the format he would like to see it in. I can only think that this type of seller is out for himself and cares less of the buyer. This type of seller is off my buyer list. :hi:

No

But the truith of the matter is that it would be very boring if we all got along.. :popcorn:

hm True enough.

No

I concur....

...wait, did I just say that? (shrug):D

Have fun..>Mike

p.s. thx bsshog, I though I was the only one who saw it that way. :)