• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Submission results Part 1

15 posts in this topic

I just signed up for the NGC collectors club, and received the 5 free submission vouchers, so I used them on my first ever NGC submission. BTW- these, unfortunately, are not my coins, I just submitted them for a friend who is slowly selling his collection. Here are the results. Pictures coming soon.

1880 Shield Nickel. I thought it was MS65, definite 66 possibility. It came back PF65 . I must have been half-sleeping looking at this one. Oh well, not the end of the world. I know there is a large difference in price though.

1901-S Barber Quarter. An easy FR-02 w/ a decent chance of AG-3, with original circulated crust. It came back BB-ed for cleaning - WTF. I am UPSET with thier judgement call on this one.

1913-S Barber Quarter. A non-negotiable, textbook, G-6. It came back G-6 :D

1893-S Morgan Dollar. A definite VG-8/ VG-10 w/ nice crust but a possible ancient cleaning that can barely be noticed from my 16x loupe. It came back BB-ed for cleaning. Still quite mad for such a coin.

Finally,

1894 Morgan Dollar. I was between AU-58/ MS-61. This coin has ton's of nice luster left, but it has the slightest rub. I thought it could go MS for luster. It came back AU-55. I'm not totally disappointed, but they were way off IMO.

Overall I think NGC did not do a stellar job on these coins. The best part of this whole submission is that the 1901-S Quarter and 1893-S Morgan didn't come back as counterfeit, though I knew they weren't.

I'll have pictures a little bit later. I'll also be receiving another NGC submission later this week and I'm hoping for much MUCH better results. This next submission has some drop-dead gorgeous coins and some nice rare and difficult to find dates.

Believe me i feel your pain :( Ive sent some coins i thought for sure would make cameo at min. and they would come back as proof. Sometimes id swear the graders where blind lol. Its when you look the coin over again is when you see why. Sometimes we get excited as collectors and basically jump the gun a bit. These guys do this on a daily basis as a job. There eye is trained for certain types of coins that they have probably seen a million times. As time goes on you will develope the same thing on certain coins. I know i sure have and im having less disappointments as i send in :) Sometimes im 100% dead on with some submissions!

1880 Shield Nickel. I thought it was MS65, definite 66 possibility. It came back PF65 . I must have been half-sleeping looking at this one. Oh well, not the end of the world. I know there is a large difference in price though.

If I paid MS-65 money for this coin and not Proof money, it would feel like the end of the world to me...

Without pictures it is a little hard to judge whether it is your grading skills need adjusting or NGC was overly critical when grading your coins. Unfortunately, the fact that only 1 of 5 came back as you suspected probably points to you.

A few things to consider:

If you're calling an 1880 5c as MS65 or MS66 when the coin is a proof, this is a big red flag. There is probably a $50,000 difference between MS & PF on this coin.

The cleaned circulated coins, while they might be crusty, are they also much brighter or oddly gray in the fields?

These are the type of coins that the TPG like to have in their holders. They will look the other way on a lot of problems. If they bagged them for cleaning, generally the cleaning is pretty bad or the coin just looks very off.

Also, if you're using a 16x glass, I must assume you're grading in the dark. The graders generally don't use a glass. What does the coin look like without the glass?

That makes no sense to me the proof is priced at under $700 and the ms sells for over $40,000.

I to have just joined the NGC submission club and will be sending in 5 coins in the next few days. I'm hoping for 3 or more to be slabbed.

John

Before I sent in 5 coins to a TPG hoping to get 3 slabbed, I would take that money and invest in a camera and lighting, learn to grade as best I can(utilizing this and other forums to get very qualified assistance). Then I would send in 5 coins and expect to get 5 slabbed. IMHO. Yes, with low expectations, one is less apt to be surprised, but 60% is well below anyone's normal expectation, at least I would think. Good luck on all your submissions.

Before I sent in 5 coins to a TPG hoping to get 3 slabbed, I would take that money and invest in a camera and lighting, learn to grade as best I can(utilizing this and other forums to get very qualified assistance). Then I would send in 5 coins and expect to get 5 slabbed. IMHO. Yes, with low expectations, one is less apt to be surprised, but 60% is well below anyone's normal expectation, at least I would think. Good luck on all your submissions.

Wise words !!! (worship)

Yes you are right in that getting 3 out of 5 is not a good percentage. I have took these coins to the local dealers and the answers were maybe slabed maybe not.The cheap camera I own is a nikon coolpix 7600 that I bought in april of 07 before than i have never had a camera before. Also i did post the coins on the forum for assistance and got one response in helping me. and last I have read countless threads on people sending coins in (that are not modern coins) that return BBs. So with all this said I think i'm going to be ok if I get 3 or more slab on my first try.

John

These are the type of coins that the TPG like to have in their holders. They will look the other way on a lot of problems. If they bagged them for cleaning, generally the cleaning is pretty bad or the coin just looks very off.

That's exactly what I expected and there is nothing that would harbor them from not putting these coins in plastic. I've seen 3x worse coins (i.e. harshly cleaned) in NGC holders and thought this was just rediculous service.

I understand what you are saying, and I've been collecting coins for 13 years and I know my stuff. I've got all the bells and whistles a serious coin collector needs to verify coins as being authentic, having problems, check weight, etc. I would never dream of sending, intentionally, 60% of my coins in to get graded. It's too much money already to just throw it away for body bags on problem coins. I make sure I check each coin I want to send in for a long time in order to make sure it is good enough to get in a holder.

I would say I know just as much about coin grading as any other person on these boards. I know this is a bold statement, but when I can accurately grade, on average, 75-80% of the coins correctly at the ANA Summer Seminar grading course, I think that means I know my stuff. Unless that means that the grading services were wrong in the past and are getting stricter on coins and improving their standards.

I would say I know just as much about coin grading as any other person on these boards. I know this is a bold statement, but when I can accurately grade, on average, 75-80% of the coins correctly at the ANA Summer Seminar grading course, I think that means I know my stuff. Unless that means that the grading services were wrong in the past and are getting stricter on coins and improving their standards.

Wow thats a pretty strong statement. I have been collecting a lot longer than that and I still am amazed about how little i know about coins and find this forum a great learning experience everyday. Amazing you learned it all in 13 years and I am so dumb it took 30 plus years to find out how little I know.shocked.gif

Wow thats a pretty strong statement. I have been collecting a lot longer than that and I still am amazed about how little i know about coins and find this forum a great learning experience everyday. Amazing you learned it all in 13 years and I am so dumb it took 30 plus years to find out how little I know.shocked.gif

lol

I was thinking the same thing...

Amazing you learned it all in 13 years and I am so dumb it took 30 plus years to find out how little I know.

The saying goes that the more your know, the more your realize what you don't know!

Experience is an excellent teacher! hm

Scott :hi: