An Offer We Decided to Accept...

0
Revenant

238 views

It is often the case that I have a few Gold coins with BIN listings in my Watch List on eBay. These are usually examples of the next type coins I want to add to my type-set of late-19th and early 20th century gold coins from different nations - what I call my Golden Nickels. This is a particular point of interest to me around this time of year when I'm hoping a Bonus or a good tax return will convince Shandy to let me buy one.

One thing I'd been looking at for a long time was a MS64+ 20 Kroner from 1916 - 1916 being one of the higher mintage years for this coin. The NGC population includes about 120 coins with about 22 MS63s, about 25 MS64s, this one MS64+, 56 being MS65, and 1 being MS66.

So this coin was close to the middle of the population, but the population is crushed at the top with all the coins above it (currently) only being marginally above it (MS64+ vs MS65) and only one in existence currently graded over 65 by NGC.

The seller had it listed at $615, which I honestly thought was pretty reasonable in its own right, I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger. Then, Monday night, the seller sends me an offer - for $550. I screen capped this and sent it to Shandy like, "I'm not going to lie, that seems like a good price to me." - the coin has about 0.25 toz of gold in it and it had a melt value right around $474, so that price was only about $75 over melt, about 16% over melt, for a coin that is graded and almost got a Gem Uncirc grade.

To my surprise, Shandy also thought it was a good price, and she likes the look of the coin, so she encouraged me to just go ahead and go for it - we had the cash, even if I don't end up getting a bonus or we don't get a great return.

So I slept on it, then sat down while things were quiet and slow, I looked at the pictures, looked at the seller's feedback, did the Cert# verification and looked at the NGC picks vs the seller's images. Everything looked good, right down to the copper spot near the 2 on the reverse, and I decided to take it.

Yeah, I probably could have gotten an MS65 if I'd waited, but I think the premium would have been higher, I like the look of this coin, and I liked the price, and I think I'm unlikely to regret getting this down the road.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.830c144710571a8d8cff27aee9229b7f.jpg

524079366_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.2e1f2942109e58cfe446b4ea69dd8dd5.jpg

1895569489_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.94ce065b2191af6bbc35d1a053111bcf.jpg

Going back to a conversation with Mike not long ago in discussing MS65 and MS66 coins that have marks that just happen to be in very unappealing locations, I think if that copper spot near the 2 on the reverse was in the middle of the coin or on Christian's cheek I probably wouldn't like it. With it off in the legend by the two, I actually kind of like it for the character it gives the coin from being 106 years old. I think the coin holds up very well under these fairly high magnifications and I'm looking forward to seeing it in hand soon.

Going back to the idea of getting this coin vs an MS65, I suspect there are many MS65 graded examples out there of those ~56 that I'd find less attractive and less appealing than I find this one.

 

0



6 Comments


Recommended Comments

Very nice pickup! :golfclap:

That copper spot wouldn't bother me in the slightest, I actually hadn't noticed it at first until I read the journal. That's right, I skipped right to the coin. lol

Like toning, a copper spot appearing in just the right place can make the coin more attractive. I'm NOT a SGDE fan but one coin had a copper spot on Liberty's torch, just the flame, and that just looked really cool. 

Link to comment
On 2/10/2022 at 6:31 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Very nice pickup! :golfclap:

That copper spot wouldn't bother me in the slightest, I actually hadn't noticed it at first until I read the journal. That's right, I skipped right to the coin. lol

Like toning, a copper spot appearing in just the right place can make the coin more attractive. I'm NOT a SGDE fan but one coin had a copper spot on Liberty's torch, just the flame, and that just looked really cool. 

I was scrutinizing the coin perhaps a bit more than you were because I wanted to make sure that the coin matched the label and that it was a 20 Kr and not a 10 Kr, because I've gotten excited in the past thinking I've found a coin at a nice price only to realize that the coin is a smaller denomination (but from the same era with a very similar design) than the one I wanted and therefore the price is less attractive than I first thought. lol So I look at dates and denominations and that spot is right between the date and the denom. Then I really got into the weeds of looking at it and the NGC pictures to make sure it matched up. lol 

That does sound like it could have been an interesting SGDE. I like the SGDE, more for the eagle than for the Obverse. I think it's a pretty eagle. I do think that some European coinage from the time is better looking though and arguably more interesting (and, on the whole, better values). I would love to have SGDEs from my Grandparent's birthyears though and those are bucket coins. lol That said, I'll take a coin with that SGDE design over a Ukrainian coin. :sick:lol 

Link to comment
On 2/10/2022 at 9:39 AM, Revenant said:

I wanted to make sure that the coin matched the label and that it was a 20 Kr and not a 10 Kr, because I've gotten excited in the past thinking I've found a coin at a nice price only to realize that the coin is a smaller denomination (but from the same era with a very similar design) than the one I wanted and therefore the price is less attractive than I first thought. lol

Yep, been there. I've almost been burned before because of that, but not yet. :wishluck:

On 2/10/2022 at 9:39 AM, Revenant said:

I like the SGDE, more for the eagle than for the Obverse. I think it's a pretty eagle.

Definitely the more attractive of the two sides IMO. 

On 2/10/2022 at 9:39 AM, Revenant said:

That said, I'll take a coin with that SGDE design over a Ukrainian coin. :sick:lol

HA! Ouch! :roflmao: No argument there in regards to standard circulating coinage, but the truth still hurts. lol Probably why there isn't a single, standard, Ukrainian circulating coinage set in the registry.

I've toyed with the idea of a U.S. coin birthyear set/s but.... Maybe one day when I circle back to U.S. coins.  

Link to comment
On 2/10/2022 at 10:19 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Probably why there isn't a single, standard, Ukrainian circulating coinage set in the registry.

I can't imagine it helps. I'll waste money on worthless coins I like (Zimbabwe) or which my wife connects to (500 L) and not care about them being bad "investments," but even I feel no such inclination for ugly coins. lol

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now