It took me nearly six months to decide what to send, but I have finally convinced myself to submit a few of my better raw pieces for grading. This submission is a bit complex as it spans seven invoices and requires a few special requests. Luckily, my contact at NGC was more than willing to help. As many of you know, I have a fair number of Soho pieces that have retained their original shells. When possible, I have made an effort always to have the shells encapsulated alongside the coin in a multi-coin holder. Doing so allows me to ensure that the shells are less likely to be separated from the coin. After all, it would indeed be a shame to lose such a unique piece of Soho history that has been carefully curated over the last two centuries. In total I am only sending in 17 pieces for grading, but there are 43 items listed on the submission forms when including the shells. On any note, I wanted to share the pieces I am sending in (at least the ones I have pictures of).
1. 1799 Great Britain proof Farthing with shells
2. 1791 Jean Jacques Rousseau medal – proof with shells
3. 1800(11) Westminster Fire Office Medal – proof with shells
4. 1804 Bombay Presidency Pice – Multicoin Reholder - As can be seen in the picture - this slab looks like a game used NHL hockey puck
5. 1803 Madras Presidency 10 Cash - Multicoin Reholder - Another hockey puck holder
6. 1808 Madras Presidency 10 Cash - Multicoin Reholder - And yet another hockey puck holder
7. 1805 Ireland proof Penny with shells
8. 1793 Board of Agriculture Medal – proof with shells
9. 1800 George III Preserved from Assassination Medal –Proof with shells
10. 1803 Boydell's National Edition of Shakespeare's Works - with shells
11. 1802 Peace of Amiens Medal – with shells
12. 1793 Death of Gustavus III – proof with shells
13. 1793 Execution of Louis XVI of France – Final farewell – proof with shells
14. 1805 Bank of England $1 obverse die trial – proof
15. 1753 England ½ Penny
16. 1754 England Farthing
17. 1917 Costa Rica 10 Centavos
Thank goodness for the $500 grading credit from the NGC registry awards last year. That combined with the account credit for my membership will help, but I will still have a relatively substantial bill coming my way once it is all done. I will be sure to post updates as they become available.
Feel free to do a GTG if you feel so inclined.