• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 Seated Half Rev Dies.... Pics Added

4 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me how many Rev Dies......were used on the 1853-O Arrows and Ray Half Dollar?

I'll need to take some pictures but as I've gone through 4 of these in upgrading my set this year, it seems there are more than a couple.

Hopefully, I'll get to post pics later; but this morning I was looking at the 2 that I currently have and the difference is quite pronounced. I'm pretty sure it's not a die condition that is causing the difference. One has longer rays and has rays in places the other doesn't. It doesn't look like they've been buffed off the die either like the 2 feather buffalo nickel.

Just curious and I don't have any good reference material.

Thanks,

Richard

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The Wiley/Bugert book, published in 1993, notes that the authors had identified 10 reverse dies.

Thank you very much for the reply !

Hmmm.... gotta get me one of those books sounds like.

I'm pretty sure I've had 3 different reverse dies just out of the 4 coins I've owned this year.

I have and use the LM book for my capped bust half dimes. These halves are sure easier on the eyes to attribute :)

Thanks again,

Richard

I took pics of the 2 I currently have.

At first glance very similar coins

QPSSK-Updated1853CircSet004.jpg

IADSS-Updated1853CircSet005.jpg

Now lets look closer:

TNJUG-Updated1853CircSet009.jpgJTHEV-Updated1853CircSet008.jpg

INEZV-Updated1853CircSet006.jpgXLETG-Updated1853CircSet007.jpg

I haven't really studied the OBV yet, but notice the differences in the reverse? There are many significant differences that I think are because of differently cut dies. Look under the wings on both sides. See the rays... Look at the rays passing by the eagles beak.

Here's some other differences but I have a hard time taking good pictures of it; but on Coin #2 the lettering on the reverse is almost all doubled. Some quite clearly.

IDNHX-Updated1853CircSet006a.jpg

DDLVE-Updated1853CircSet007a.jpg

Anyway, I thought this interesting and hope you did too.

Thanks,

Richard