• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sovereign counterfeit detection device, antique. Where can I find one?

9 posts in this topic

I'm looking for these, I just don't know what they are called. I plan to hopefully find one on eBay. Can someone help me find one? (thanks conder101 for the image and information)

"This sounds like one of the many different counterfeit detection devices that was in use in the 19th century. These were made to detect circulating counterfeits.

These were a metal balance that would have a counterweight on one side and on the other side there would be one or more circular "recepticales", one for each denomination that it was capable of testing.

You would put a coin in its circular depression to see if it balanced the counterweight. This conducted two tests, If it balanced, the weight was right. The depression should be a snug fit. If the coin was too big, or if it was loose in the holder then the diameter was wrong. A genuine coin should fit snugly. Then the final test would be to take the coin out and try and pass it through a slot cut in the depression. This measured the thickness of the coin. A genuine coin should barely pass through the slot. A counterfeit would normally be short on gold lower in density. If it was made the right diameter and weight, it would have to be thicker to pass the first two tests and it would not pass through the slot.

Here is an image of an English version that was used for detecting counterfeit sovereigns and half sovereigns.

"

lot063.jpg

If you are looking to obtain one as an historical novelty then that is cool. If, however, you are looking to obtain one in order to test for counterfeits then you can do the same with a modern caliper and scale.

If you are looking to obtain one as an historical novelty then that is cool. If, however, you are looking to obtain one in order to test for counterfeits then you can do the same with a modern caliper and scale.

Thanks TomB. Actually, I'm looking one for it's (antique) historical significance. I think they are really cool.

Thanks though.

(I searched for antique weight/scale on eBay, but it only brings up a measuring scale, not this antique)

Are you looking for one that was used in Britian exclusively or elsewhere. If Britain, I would try sending a PM to our friend Dooley (Wayne) to see if he can track one down. He appears to be able to come across some quite interesting coins and coin related items and would bet he could definitely be of some sort of assistance.

Rey

Are you looking for one that was used in Britian exclusively or elsewhere. If Britain, I would try sending a PM to our friend Dooley (Wayne) to see if he can track one down. He appears to be able to come across some quite interesting coins and coin related items and would bet he could definitely be of some sort of assistance.

Rey

How do I PM him? Still not used to these new forums. I tried searching his name under the search feature but couldn't find it.

I found this one on Ebay. I don't know what you are expecting to spend, but this one is not cheap ($300). It is of a different design, apparently for american coins.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GOLD-AND-SILVER-COUNTERFEIT-COIN-DETECTOR-SCALE_W0QQitemZ6276960162QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4115QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one ($349) is the exact same as you posted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-INTERESTING-GOLD-COUNTERFEIT-SCALE-SOVEREIGNS_W0QQitemZ280044517382QQihZ018QQcategoryZ39473QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

This one is even more, but is pretty cool ($450)

http://cgi.ebay.com/J-T-McNALLY-COUNTERFEIT-COIN-SCALE_W0QQitemZ6256606607QQihZ004QQcategoryZ4115QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

By the Way, I searched "Counterfeit scale" to find these three.