• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many others are out there?

11 posts in this topic

I was reading this thread, and it makes me wonder, how many other PCGS coins are counterfeit, in PCGS slabs, waiting to be discovered?

Each coin is looked at an expert, and there is an expert, Mike Sargent, who is a leading expert on counterfeit detection. I've gotten their PCGS Rare Coin magazine in the mail, and in each one they show a counterfeit or altered coin. It's amazing they do such a good job at what they do. I'd imagine there are very few counterfeit coins in PCGS slabs, how many do you think? Either way, you win. Ron Guth, author of Coin collecting for dummies and now president of PCGS, comphensated the owner of the 1804 coin for the full price he/she paid for it. So either way, you're covered.

I was reading this thread, and it makes me wonder, how many other PCGS coins are counterfeit, in PCGS slabs, waiting to be discovered?

Nobody is perfect. I am sure every grading service has had its share of mistakes. As long as PCGS makes good on its guarentee, then I don't think anyone has to worry.

Yes folks (including you in the CAC), mistakes happen.

Scott :hi:

Nobody is perfect. I am sure every grading service has had its share of mistakes. As long as PCGS makes good on its guarentee, then I don't think anyone has to worry.

Yes folks (including you in the CAC), mistakes happen.

Scott :hi:

Yes, I agree. Everyone makes mistakes. :hi:

[sarcasm]Millions.[/sarcasm]

Actually, monkey, I think this was uncalled for. I don't think stinky was being paranoid, obsessive, or any of his old tricks. I think stinky was just saying that he was impressed at how well the TPGS do at catching counterfeits, and he was impressed that they offered a refund. He is starting to gain confidence, and was merely asking a question (which others have asked before) about how many counterfeits there are in slabs.

Kevin there is more to life than worrying about counterfeit gold coins. For your sake, please move on.

Counterfeit gold coins are very important. Some people even chose to make them the focus of their collections. I don't think anyone needs to disparage stinky for this question. Yes, in the past stinky was a little crazy, but I think he has been making an effort, and succeeding, at calming down. He has not scratched anything lately, and his posts have shown genuine interest in learning. Why not give a guy a chance to change and learn?

I think there are more counterfeits in PCGS (and other TPG) slabs than we might think. Just like the micro-O fiasco (see: http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=4400&universeid=313 ), I suspect that someone's figured out a way to fool us all, including the experts.

Happily, as a collector all one has to do is purchase coins slabbed by a TPG that has an authenticity guarantee such as PCGS or NGC, and I think you are right to point out the following:

Either way, you win. Ron Guth, author of Coin collecting for dummies and now president of PCGS, comphensated the owner of the 1804 coin for the full price he/she paid for it. So either way, you're covered.

There are many downsides to TPGs, but how they handle counterfeits is not one of them. It seems to me that a great deal of the TPGs value proposition is the removal of risk relative to counterfeiting. For that we can be quite thankful.

All IMHO...Mike

I think there are more counterfeits in PCGS (and other TPG) slabs than we might think. Just like the micro-O fiasco (see: http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=4400&universeid=313 ), I suspect that someone's figured out a way to fool us all, including the experts.

Happily, as a collector all one has to do is purchase coins slabbed by a TPG that has an authenticity guarantee such as PCGS or NGC, and I think you are right to point out the following:

Either way, you win. Ron Guth, author of Coin collecting for dummies and now president of PCGS, comphensated the owner of the 1804 coin for the full price he/she paid for it. So either way, you're covered.

There are many downsides to TPGs, but how they handle counterfeits is not one of them. It seems to me that a great deal of the TPGs value proposition is the removal of risk relative to counterfeiting. For that we can be quite thankful.

All IMHO...Mike

Yes, I was quite impressed by the micro-O's too. They always offer comphensation.