• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pricing pop1 or pop 2 coins

13 posts in this topic

i have a 1942-p silver jefferson graded ms-68. it was the first one graded this high by NGC. NOW THERE IS A 2ND AND NON GRADED this high by the other guys PCGS. when there is only one or 2 of a coin graded this high there is not enough sells to have an average "trend" by anybody. how do i price this coin now that i am retired and thinking of selling? you certainly do not go to the nearest coin dealer and ask "hey buddy what'll you give for this?"

You might want to look at auction results for similar items at Heritage or the other auction sites. By "similar items" I would mean that you should look at other low pop war nickels, too. Additionally, you may want to find out how much PCGS MS67 coins sell for since many folks in the market will want to pay big dollars for this coin if they think it has a chance to go MS68 at PCGS.

Welcome to the forum, Ken. TomB gave you some very good advice, especially as to the latter in regards to PCGS upgrading this coin to MS68-that is a real possibility and then the coin would garner a huge price. Good luck and keep us all informed here at the forum, maybe with some pics-we love pics.

My guess is that the old rule of thumb - "three times face" - doesn't apply here....

As I recall, that was for 90% silver. "War Nickels" were a bit more. Maybe five times face.

Or maybe you have older thumbs than me.

Dennis Baker of nusmedia suggested putting it in a major auction and letting the regerstry guys bid on it as did Mark Feld.

Accordingly, if nothing unforseen happens it will be at long beach. i'll let you all know what happens.

and no way was this going on ebay. i have come to think that ebay is not for the best coins. however one can sometimes get a bnargain buying on ebay if careful.

I realize this is a little late but you mentioned Dennis Baker with Numismedia. I have found on previous occasions that he has been very helpful in trying to determmine a reasonable market value for these type of coins with no real history of previos sales.

Congrats on the outcome you realized.

Rey