• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Are you for or against the CAC

Do You Favor the CAC?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Favor the CAC?

23 posts in this topic

[font:Georgia]A lot has been said about the CAC and its potential implications. It has produced sever threads of discussions and even arguements. FWIW, there has been no tally of how many are for or against the concept. So, if I get it right, I am presenting a poll to find out how the Collector's Society populace thinks. I am just curious![/font]

How about an option for: "Other - I'd prefer to decide what I think and how I feel about C.A.C., not based upon bits of information, rumors and speculation, but when I really KNOW what it is and see it in action" ?

No option here for me: "I am reserving judgment until I see the end product and how it plays out."

Seriously, I can see some major potential benefits for the hobby if it works as planned, and yet I can also see that it could hurt some collectors and their ability to buy great stuff for less than a king's ransom as well.

I am undecided as I would like to wait and see the CAC in action before rendering an opinion.

I am decidedly AGAINST more threads on the issue. ;)

(I did not see an appropriate choice, so I did not vote in the poll.)

I voted don't care. I really don't have the funds to invest in coins that I would have to have rechecked just to see if they are worth what I paid for them.

I voted for them and that the TPGs needed oversight, but I don't think I could really get involved in their stuff anyway. Likely, the coins I collect wouldn't be in the $ range that they're probably interested in, and if I did buy a coin, whatever it's cost, I wouldn't care what they said about it.

I voted for them and that the TPGs needed oversight, but I don't think I could really get involved in their stuff anyway. Likely, the coins I collect wouldn't be in the $ range that they're probably interested in, and if I did buy a coin, whatever it's cost, I wouldn't care what they said about it.

You opened this thread? You're no longer master of your domain. ;)

Without further details about the CAC structure, fees and actual implementation it would be premature for me to vote conclusively.

I voted no opinion/do not care. Or at least I will not unless and until they start dealing in the world coins I collect and drive their prices up. If this actually "works", I would only buy or deal in these coins if market acceptance made it necessary. That is what has happened with TPG coins from a financial standpoint.

I'm tired of the subject all together.

I agree, but you know that it will die off, and then we will go through this whole thing again when more information comes out or when they actually start up. I think this ongoing nonsense has turned me off of the CAC idea almost as much as the limited knowledge we have of what the thing is.

I'm tired of the subject all together.

I agree, but you know that it will die off, and then we will go through this whole thing again when more information comes out or when they actually start up. I think this ongoing nonsense has turned me off of the CAC idea almost as much as the limited knowledge we have of what the thing is.

The ongoing nonsense has actually had the opposite effect on me…

I think this ongoing nonsense has turned me off of the CAC idea almost as much as the limited knowledge we have of what the thing is.

I think that was exactly somebody's plan...

Hey gang... please don't shoot me!

There were serveral posts, threads, etc. all I wanted was a general pulse of thought in a simple poll. I didn't expect anyone to respond--though I should have known better.

Relax... there's worse things in this world to worry about!!

Scott :hi:

Scott,

Your post/idea was a good one in my opinion. It is quite obvious that this is a very controversal topic with opinions and thoughts across the board. I posted the following suggestion in another CAC related post. Just a thought. I do hope folks continue to answer your poll. It is helpful I think.

Perhaps this is a ridiculous idea but in order to still allow each individual the opportunity to express their opinions, pose questions, and publicize their thoughts on this subject would it make sense to consider the following?

Have two dedicated posts related to the subject, one would be Thoughts and Opinions in Support of CAC and the other would be Thoughts and Opinions Not Supporting CAC. This way everyone could express their opinions if they choose and we could possible eliminate all of the numerous posts related to this subject. I as well as others have indicated that it is not that we do not want to learn and hear about CAC, etc. it is just not effective nor very productive to try to do so when there is so much back and forth going on.

Two posts, one pro, one con and these others can cease.

Just a thought.

Rey

As I understand it, I am for it, and that is how I voted.

However, and as Mark, Ziggy, SageRad, and others suggests in their response above, I would prefer to defer judgement until I both learn a great deal more of the operation as well as see some results. Just as I would prefer to be judged -- not on rumor and supposition, but rather by my own words and actions....Mike

I am against the CAC. As far as people who have an issue with a TPG that is between them and the TPG. If the issue can not be resolved, then the laws of this country permit them to file a civil suit. Its called due process.

I'm not against anything new until all the facts are on the table.

I don't feel there are enough facts to make a decision at this point.

Too many folks put there head in the sand before all the information needed to make a decision is out there or just because its out of the box thinking.

I have high hopes for this and see little down side to it. :)

Sorry if I rant.

Sorry if I rant.

I see a lot of downside for collectors with well-developed eyes for quality and limited budgets.

Having said that, there's a thread ATS about a former AU-50 1795 half becoming an MS-61.

Ouch.

Sorry if I rant.

I see a lot of downside for collectors with well-developed eyes for quality and limited budgets.

Having said that, there's a thread ATS about a former AU-50 1795 half becoming an MS-61.

Ouch.

I think that's a great example of how the CAC, if it runs properly and gains acceptability, may deter the destruction of high-end coins and save collectors money.

I voted no.

Having already spent a couple thousand dollars to have the raw coins graded, which I purchased years ago, I have no interest in spending more money to have them graded again. I am not interested in another layer of grading that will lower the value of coins don't have the cartel seal of approval.

While I find the grading opinions of dealers, like David Lawrence, interesting, those opinions have had nothing to do with wheather or not I purchased a given coin. My tastes, grading abilities and budget all led me to make my choices.Having the cartel's seal of approval won't prompt me to purchase a given coin.