• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trying to learn...

14 posts in this topic

Thanks again for everyone putting up with a total novice...

I wanted to post this PCGS 1849 Seated Liberty Dollar MS 64 I found on ebay... If you read my prior posts you will know 1) I don't know what I'm doing and 2) I spent a bit of cash to learn that fact.

Now I'll take the approach that I should learn from you guys. Can you give me any comments on why this coin that looks sweet to me is not worth the money (I at least trust that I should run away from my instincts in this industry (shrug) ).

seatedobv-1.jpg

seatedrev-1.jpg

It is a "to each his own" sort of question. The coin has been dipped to remove its original toning, which is not my preference. But there are others that prefer untoned coins. So the answer is buy what you like. And stick with PCGS, NGC, or ANACS graded coins and you at worst will be OK.

... there are quite a number of Seated Lib experts on this board... but I'd be thinking that there are quite a number of bag marks for 64...especially to the reverse fields ...color looks a tad hazy as well but that could just be an artifact of imaging....L

I don't know how true-to-life the images are, but based upon them, the coin looks dipped and lackluster. I do not think that the visible marks are inconsistent with the assigned grade, considering the size of the coin and the images

These were big, heavy coins with large, open fields that seemed to act as a magnet for milling marks or other hits. I agree that the marks do not appear bad for the grade, but it also has been dipped to heck and back. To my eye, this is not an attractive state.

The marks on the coin don’t bother me nearly as much as the coins lack of originality. I would try to find a crusty, un-messed with looking coin.

I agree with the dipped assessment, and would further question the strike. Is this strike average for the date? Because it looks a little weak to me. I would pass on this one.

I attributed the lack of visible luster to a scanner image, but I may be wrong. I agree that the marks are not a problem for a 64, but I was also concerned about the strike.

I'd want better pictures before bidding.

I have nothing further to add (don't like the dipped coin look, etc.), but I would also add that ebay is not a good place to be looking for coins in that price range. There are way too many trap coins and deals that are too good to be true.

This coin is dipped and considered undesirable by many (as evidenced by the responses), yet it is slabbed by a top TPG.

Will CAC help collectors avoid coins like this? If so, is that a good thing?

The problem is that a large percentage of the Seated Liberty coins (half dimes thru dollars) have been dipped or worse and NGC/PCGS will still slab them. If you can find a nice Seated dollar with a pleasing, original patina, go for it.

I agree with the comment about looking for Seated dollars on ebay---be VERY careful. Obtaining Trade dollars via ebay is even more of a problem because of overseas counterfeits.

The coin appears flat and dead in the image. This may be from a scanned image, a coin lit by florescent lights, or from dipping. Only seeing the coin in person would let you know for sure which. The coin also appears weakly struck. I would not want to pay 64 money for it, but it might be worth 62 money but a seller probably wouldn't want to sell it for that because there will be a sucker out there that he will be able to sell it to for a "bargain price, a little back of 64 bid." who is just buying the number on the slab..