• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here is a fun auction on ebay!!

8 posts in this topic

So looking around ebay I stumble into this... 1948 Mint Set

Anyhow I get to reading the auction, after looking at the pictures. One thing I notice is all the coins are blast white! Except for the nickels which are not! How does something sit in contact with paper that long and not get toning? But then I read on and I quote "These halves appear to be FIRST STRIKES, since the reverses showing on both the 'P' and 'D' mints have STRONG FULL BELL LINES." WTF? I mean I know first strike is hot and not(Not that I agree) but it is. Anyhow I had to have a good laugh at this auction. It will bring good money, since of what it is. Even if the coins have been changed. Debate away!

Selling tactic! Seller is relatively new to ebay though he has 100% feedback. What steers me away is “IF” he feels so confident than why wouldn’t he have submit the coins for grading himself, if they grade as he makes you feel they’ll grade there is a lot more to gain in profit. I’m thinking possibly cleaned, but just a guess. Funny, yes!!!! lol

The coins are not cleaned, and they may be FBL. They will bring more in the Mint set than if they were just raw. Some people do not want to destroy and orginal mint set, but chances of FBL are pretty good for 1948. MS 64 FBL P/D mints will not run you alot. I think he will do better this way if you ask me. Closes at $600.00 if you ask me. But I do think some of the original coins have been replaces... None are cleaned from the pics....

The use of the terminology is likely by someone who is not familiar with the hobby/industry or by someone who is looking to increase the number of appearances using the search feature. However, those sets might be original since the coins appear to have a patina on them and the envelopes do not look punched-out. However, that is by no means proof of their originality.

It looks alot better than my 48 mint set but maybe mine was ......... a last strike:-)

I like how back in 1948 the mint people put some coins facing one way and other.Wonder

how many times they have been take out and put back in during the last 59yrs