• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will NGC and/or PCGS bring Legal Action against CAC for...

25 posts in this topic

Interference with an ongoing business relationship ?

It appears that CAC is attempting to be a de facto grading service without all the start-up costs associated with such an ongoing business such as has been developed by both NGC and PCGS. They (CAC) apparently are attempting to start their "service" by sabotaging the business of NGC & PCGS.

If they(CAC) want to compete against NGC & PCGS as a new and improved Wannabee grading service---I say, Go For It ! If, however, as it seems, they wish to merely second-guess, embarrass, ridicule and thereby sabotage the grading businesses of NGC & PCGS, legal action against the arrogant CAC gang might be on the horizon.

There are probably Federal Statutes and/or Tort laws regarding this type of Predatory Practice that are already being researched by the legal staff at NGC & PCGS.

I,for one, stand on the side of NGC & PCGS in this blantant attempt by CAC to sabotage their coin grading business.

While im not an expert on this whole CAC thing, one thing i do know is that really this company isnt doing any good for NGC or PCGS or any respectable grading service. The place it will do good is for the coins that are super over graded by sgs and a like. For toned coins they are wasting there time as that is purely a matter of a persons opinion if it is NT or AT. Till the day they come up with some sort of test that they can perform that tells if a coin is AT or NT it is pointless. IMO of course.

I would say that it is a civil wrong to try and willfully ruin ones good reputation. PCGS and NGC are the two top grading services in the world and have been for over 20 years. I think Laura has a bone to pick with DH, so she is now putting her army together and getting ready for the attack.

This CAC is like asking another doctor for a second opinion and hoping he is right also. How much of this BS must one go through just to collect coins?

Interference with an ongoing business relationship ?

It appears that CAC is attempting to be a de facto grading service without all the start-up costs associated with such an ongoing business such as has been developed by both NGC and PCGS. They (CAC) apparently are attempting to start their "service" by sabotaging the business of NGC & PCGS.

If they(CAC) want to compete against NGC & PCGS as a new and improved Wannabee grading service---I say, Go For It ! If, however, as it seems, they wish to merely second-guess, embarrass, ridicule and thereby sabotage the grading businesses of NGC & PCGS, legal action against the arrogant CAC gang might be on the horizon.

There are probably Federal Statutes and/or Tort laws regarding this type of Predatory Practice that are already being researched by the legal staff at NGC & PCGS.

I,for one, stand on the side of NGC & PCGS in this blantant attempt by CAC to sabotage their coin grading business.

Good lord, do you really believe the tripe you write???

I do not believe their ploy (an attempt to wrung more money out of the classics via a different angle) will work - there are simply too many grading services already, only so many coins the TPG's can grade and regrade, too many people with big bucks in slabbed coins who will resent the idea of now having to fork over more dollars for a second step in the grading process. And I think this would never fly with most dealers who would resent another third party stepping in to affect their business. I am perfectly happy with the slabbed coins I have and have no desire to spend money for someone's elses subjective opinion whether these are nice coins or not. If I did not think they were nice coins, I would not have bought them to offer to my customers and clients.

Their appeal I would think is to the guy who wants to be sure his 1911-D $2.50 Indian graded MS 64 by a TPG is really a nice coin. But if he is really that insecure in the first place, why is he even buying expensive numismatic coins?

I do not believe the guy who is buying MS 64 Common Date Morgans TPG graded or bullion would really have any use for the consortium.

Frankly, until I see this consortium idea actually publicly announced or actually operational I think it is just a bunch of hot air from some of the rejects from accross the street. It would appear DH and company are cleaning house over there.

Frankly, until I see this consortium idea actually publicly announced or actually operational I think it is just a bunch of hot air from some of the rejects from accross the street. It would appear DH and company are cleaning house over there.
Just saving yet another quote of Parker's for later.

I think it will be safer for me to not choose sides on this. I'll just wait and see how it plays out--which is all most of us can do anyways. :)

How much of this BS must one go through just to collect coins?

Absolutely none. I collect and don't have to put up with any of their BS. Of course have to put up with a lot of BS fro dealers over their raw coins. The solution is the same whether you are dealing with the grading services or the CAC. Learn to grade and then you can ignore their opinions and just buy the coins you judge acceptable no matter what anyone else says about them.

What case could they possibly have on the issue? They're doing no more than publicly saying they think a coin is nice in the holder it's in, or refusing to give that endorsement. If that could warrant a lawsuit, then should all the dealers who put PQ stickers on only parts of their inventory be named as defendants, as well?

The Consortium isn't trying to tarnish any reputations. Ask any of the top graders at PCGS or NGC or anywhere else and they'll tell you that there are nice coins and not as nice coins for a grade, and sometimes the services make mistakes, as well. The Consortium is just giving people quick information as to whether the coin is nice or not.

Jeremy

I suspect the NGC and PCGS lawyers understand the legal system far better than Carson City and as a result no legal action will be taken...Mike

How much of this BS must one go through just to collect coins?
I can see how some would be attracted to collecting coins from circulation or ultra-modern NCLT directly from the Mint.

I suspect the serial #'s and bar-coded information displayed on the holders of NGC & PCGS are Proprietary Property and as such are protected under both Federal and State Copyright and Trademark laws. Just a WAG !

I suspect the serial #'s and bar-coded information displayed on the holders of NGC & PCGS are Proprietary Property and as such are protected under both Federal and State Copyright and Trademark laws. Just a WAG !
I'm guessing they are available under fair use in any event. DH has also said that he welcomes CAC.

Zoins, you may be correct. I was thinking that"Fair-Use" applies to your own use. Just like, if you wish to copy a CD orDVD for your own use, i guess it's OK. But if you were to copy that CD orDVD and then sell it for profit, it would be a violation of copyright laws. I suspect the dealers in CAC will have to pay $ to join the service that would publish the "Blessed" coins thereby incorporating the info of NGC & PCGS for the $ profit of CAC. Just a thought !

I, like you, do not know the answers to these questions and CAC is not forthcoming. So we all continue to speculate !

Zoins, you may be correct. I was thinking that"Fair-Use" applies to your own use. Just like, if you wish to copy a CD orDVD for your own use, i guess it's OK. But if you were to copy that CD orDVD and then sell it for profit, it would be a violation of copyright laws. I suspect the dealers in CAC will have to pay $ to join the service that would publish the "Blessed" coins thereby incorporating the info of NGC & PCGS for the $ profit of CAC. Just a thought !
Google is the king of using fair use to make a profit. Just a thought!

Frankly, it would seem more likely that the other TPGs would sue them if they refuse to bless anything other than PCGS or NGC coins.

Their maximum profit will be on their own big ticket coins that they can then sticker(many of which they already have). Its a lot easier to brand a few ultra, expensive low pop coins than say thousands of 1880-S mintstate dollars. Plus the decal factory won't have to operate as long. A cute setup - it won't be the decal fees that make them money but their own stuff they can hype into the stratosphere now that it has the CAC seal of approval. Wow what a payday!

And then some of our friends in here, like sheep rushing over a cliff will badly want to buy these coins. This sounds like a deal cooked up by some character in a Parker mystery novel (by Richard Stark). Pick up his novel about the coin show caper (type in Richard Stark on ebay search) and enjoy it with a fine brew.

The legal action may come when those who have been had wake up from the party. Picture a bourse room pumped full of sleeping gas......

And then some of our friends in here, like sheep rushing over a cliff will badly want to buy these coins.

I think this post needs a little humor added.

sheep2.gifDrop those sheep you varmint camel_bt.gif

And then some of our friends in here, like sheep rushing over a cliff will badly want to buy these coins.

Is this for CAC or TPGs? ;)

Is this for CAC or TPGs? ;)

Hmm... I think CAC is the coyote and the TPGs are Sam dressed as a desert raider. Under this interpretation, CAC is stealing TPGs already stolen sheep, making them both pretty low-down and dirty-rotten. lol