• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with a lincoln 1909 S vdb please

15 posts in this topic

Your opinons on this 1909 S vdb-grade and value if you can from the photos. What about the splotchiness on the reverse-I have seen this before but not sure if natural or caused by storage/treatment. Also something going on at 3:00 on the reverse inside and outside the wheat-maybe an old thumb print? Thanks

1909SVDB.jpg

Very nice Jim. Is this yours? The wheat lines have very nice detail giving it MS for sure. I am seeing small green tints to it in a couple locations on the Obv. just behind lincolns head and above the date. This may be the pic itself. Not much help on the spot on the reverse.

Has this coin been certified?

I'm a little concerned about the dark patch around the "S" mint mark. Dark patches can sometimes be an indicator of an attached mint mark. I'm not saying it is attached. I'm just saying that sort of thing sets off alarm bells to investigate.

The picture is a little distorted, but the mint mark appears to be the right shape, but I'd want to look at it with a 10X glass to make sure. The center of the "S" should be "fat" and the serifs at the ends of the letter should be vertical and parallel. It looks like they are, but like I said that part of the photo looks a little distorted to me.

As for a grade, if there is no rub on Lincoln's cheek, I'd say MS-64, R&B. His cheek looks a little gray in the photo, but it's hard to grade MS coins from a photo.

Yikes... it's tough to tell from these images. I'm with Bill, I'd want to see close-ups of the mint mark. From the image provided, it looks like there's a hit on the lower left edge. It could be nothing, but I'd like to see some closeups nonetheless. What's the sellers return policy?

Leo

Here's the link to the auction. I would not bid...something about the photos scream STOCK PHOTO. Not to mention the fact he doesn't accept paypal.

He might have been the victim of a PayPal charge back or just doesn't like the fees involved. I don't accept PayPal either and [FWIW] I think I'm a pretty up-standing seller/buyer.

That said, I think there's enough other things wrong with this listing...no stated return policy... says he doesn't know anything about coins yet offers this piece up at "MS69 or MS70"... the coin is clearly 58 at best...if it's real!!!

Leo

OK, guys I see your point, especially the Return Policy not specified. I was worried about 3 different points on this coin and you've covered 4 or 5, so thanks for your time and effort. I'll take your advice and pass.

Hey Jim.

A little late to this post, but I think you made the right decision. I would not touch this based on the pic and the questionable MM as Bill pointed out.

I would say he had a secondary degree major in metallurgy.....

The old I graduated thing is getting old. Too many e-bayers using "I just graduated and selling grandpa's coins...."

I would run away and get a certified 1909 s VDB...

Just doesn't look right around the mint mark....

MM :whatev: