• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Holders

8 posts in this topic

As I understand it, coins submitted for grading come back in a slab, some sort of 2 x 3 plastic holder with the proper ID labels. I am guessing the slab is sealed and offers some sort of protection against oxidation and other contamination. For the price of grading, one would need a nice coin worth paying the grading cost.

What does one do with the coins not quite worthy of grading but descent enough to warrant protection? I have seen 2 x 2 plastic snap-lock types as well as the ever popular 2 x 2 cardboard/staple type.

Also, I have a frame of various coins of the 20th Century. Is this an appropriate way to store/display these coins? The back is not sealed airtight, just cardboard backing that slides in and out like any picture frame.

As I understand it, coins submitted for grading come back in a slab, some sort of 2 x 3 plastic holder with the proper ID labels. I am guessing the slab is sealed and offers some sort of protection against oxidation and other contamination. For the price of grading, one would need a nice coin worth paying the grading cost.

Hi SEC - I'll try to keep the punnery to a minimum, so please be pa-cent. wink.gif

The question of whether to have your coins holdered by a grading service can be looked at a variety of ways. I won't be able to mention them all, but here are a couple of examples/thoughts...

1) Is the coin superlative for the issue? You are the keeper of your coins until you pass them to another collector. Coins that are extraordinary for the issue are worth placing in a holder, as it is a signal to collectors at large that the coin is worthy of taking note, for whatever reason.

2) Is the coin a nice example that will fill a role in what/how you collect? If so, the holder provides an easy way for the coin to be stored and handled. This goes beyond monetary worth. For example, If you collect high grade Jefferson nickels from 1965-present (one of the registry sets), but not in full steps, then many MS66 examples are available for you to collect at a "raw" cost of around 25 cents to a buck. Are these worth a $10 holder? Not strictly speaking, as they are common as cottonwood seeds. But if the coin possesses the qualities you admire and wish to keep, then it's probaly worth the expense. Your call. MANY coins in holders are worth less than the holder.

3) How do you like your coins stored? Holders are great for storage. They are bulky for an individual coin, but they are durable, protective, and easy to handle. They DO NOT protect your coins from the elements. (I once dropped a slabbed coin in a cup of coffee - bad, bad, bad). NGC has the best holder around for protection, as theirs is reportedly vacuum sealed. But I would not rely on this as a lasting quality. Archival storage requires keeping your coins at a constant temp (dashboards of cars are terrible places to keep slabbed coins), low moisture, away from sunlight or other intense light sources, and away from chemical fumes, coffee, etc.

What does one do with the coins not quite worthy of grading but descent enough to warrant protection? I have seen 2 x 2 plastic snap-lock types as well as the ever popular 2 x 2 cardboard/staple type.

There are all kinds of possibilities here. Some like Intercept Shield products (albums, 2x2's), others like Amos Advantage slabs, others Air-Tite holders, Capital Plastics holders, etc. Whatever you do, keep your coins away from PVC products.

Also, I have a frame of various coins of the 20th Century. Is this an appropriate way to store/display these coins? The back is not sealed airtight, just cardboard backing that slides in and out like any picture frame.

The cardboard will cause the coins to tone (change color) over time. There may be plastic in the frame that is not good for coins. How are the coins mounted? If they are potentially valuable coins mounted with glue (it's WAY more common than you'd believe), then send them to NCS to remove them from the frame. If you like the format of the presentation, then think of special ordering a Capital Plastics holder that presents the coins the same way.

And while you're at it, check out the ANA's education courses for your further edification.

Good luck, Hoot

(hope it all made cents crazy.gif)

Thanks!

The frame is just a piece of cardboard with sized holes for various cents, nickels, dimes, qtrs, half and dillaors followed up with another solid carboard backer. As far as I can tell there is no plastic. Looks like the Morgan, Franklin and Peace are already toning so I am considering dismantling the set and displaying them individually in 2 x 2s.

Hoot has given you excellent advice and I see you already have in-cent-ive to remove your coins from the cardboard holder. Okay! No more cent puns! 893whatthe.gif

In case I missed it, slabbing a coin also serves to increase its liquidity if it is an especially counterfeited issue or if it has incredible color on it.

I keep my raw coins either in Capital Plastics holders, for issues that I collect in set form, or in Kointains, for individual coins. I believe Kointains are a fabulous way to keep your coins, however, they do take some getting used to and not every shop sells them.

As for these cent puns, I don't even collect copper! 893whatthe.gif I only own a few pieces that I consider rather attractive.

Whitman makes and excellent, double seal, hard plastic 2x2 holder as well. I like AirTite holders but, because they're round instead of square, storage can be somewhat of a problem.

I have a bankers' roll of 20 1964 Kennedy Half Uncirculated that do not seem to stack all the way to the top of the holder. I am afraid the jiggling will damage the coins. I do not know what material I can use to stuff the top of the roll to keep it from rattling. I understand cardboard is not a compatible material. Would I be better off putting them individually into Whitman snaplock?

In the case of your '64 JFK roll, you may want to put a cotton ball or two at each end of the tube so that the coins fit snuggly when the tube is closed and sealed. This should stop their rattling.