• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A couple of coins i am intrested in

15 posts in this topic

hm

hear are a couple of coins i am intrested in..

the peace is such a nice strike and the 1917 looks nice and orignal what do you think ?

cec0_1.jpg

cfcc_1.jpg

5058.jpg

whatthe

I would dip the heck out of the Peace dollar and make it nice and shiny!! :jokealert:

No actually the Peace does have a nice solid strike and is toning nicely. I truly do like the SLQ even it has been dipped/cleaned. Something about that quarter series in high quality just radiates and wants to get in my pocket. Are these yours or just looking? Both are nice coins, Dooly.

The strike on that Peace Dollar is freakishly strong. Seriously, it's the strongest struck Peace Dollar I've ever laid eyes on. Damn thing looks like a medal.

I believe one reason for the apparently wonderful strike on the Peace dollar is the angle of lighting, which appears to be sunlight, and that causes the relief to jump out quite strong.

Despite the strong obverse strike, I'm not a fan of the peace dollar -- I think you can do much better.

However, I really like the look of the SLQ, provided there's no signs of a very old cleaning/overdipping hiding under the toning. It has (to me) the look of a nice original coin, and based upon the pictures, something I would gladly add to my collection.

Regardless of my opinion, it is YOUR opinion that counts, so please share it with us.

Take care...Mike

I believe one reason for the apparently wonderful strike on the Peace dollar is the angle of lighting, which appears to be sunlight, and that causes the relief to jump out quite strong.

Tom, I'm not sure that it is natural sunlight as the shadow's edge is too well defined for such a low angle of incidence -- I suspect incandescent or halogen lights. Regardless, it is clearly lit from a low angle and I agree that is why the strike looks "stronger" than it is.

As an aside, and for the budding photographers in the audience, using light at a small angle to the coin (i.e. low angle of incidence) will bring out details, so if you're trying to take a picture of a very small detail (for instance hairlines versus die polish, or in identifying a full-step Jefferson), use this lighting technique to your advantage.

As you can see from the pictures above, it gives an odd look when the entire coin is photographed lit like this, but it is very useful for detail shots.

Hope this helps, and respectfully submitted..Mike

I know I'm breaking from the pack on this but I'm not so sure about the originality of that SLQ. Of course, like always, it might be a different story in hand. The reverse is what really comes into question for me as that light-brown/rust color toning reminds me of how overdipped coins tend to tone back. I could be out of line on this, but it's just my gut.

I know I'm breaking from the pack on this but I'm not so sure about the originality of that SLQ. Of course, like always, it might be a different story in hand. The reverse is what really comes into question for me as that light-brown/rust color toning reminds me of how overdipped coins tend to tone back. I could be out of line on this, but it's just my gut.

The reverse bothered me a bit too, candidly. But the obverse, not showing a similar feature led me to deduce (hope) it is just the way the reverse of the coin toned. I also suspect that the white balance is off (too warm), making the color shift towards the red.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this topic??? hm

Take care...Mike

The peace looks like it has an unnatural glow, leaving me rather suspicious. It may look lustrous, but I have gotten a couple of coins that look like that but where actually polished all to pieces. I really like the obverse of the SLQ, but the reverse is not nice.