• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mixed Carson City GSA Morgan Dollars

7 posts in this topic

Hi. I'd appreciate information regarding the following CC GSA questions....

The GSA mixed carson city morgans (not the GSA holders that say "uncirculated silver dollar" but rather "silver dollar") are harder to find since there are far fewer of them. Are they both worth the same (if the grade were the same) in their respective GSA holders? Or does it really matter? The other difference between the two (I believe), is that the mixed carson city morgans had the generic COA and not the numbered COA. Maybe that makes a difference? My question pertains to rarer GSA coins, such as an 1879 CC. Thank you for your help.

Hi Victoria,

Welcome!! The GSA issued several 'varieties' of packaging for the hoards of silver dollars found in government vaults. Aside from the common Uncirculated GSA Carson City Morgan dollars in Blue felt line boxes, the GSA also issued hard plastic containers for common date dollars that were found with the hoard. Those hard plastic containers will say 'Silver Dollar', and a variety of silver dollars were issued in them with a range of grades. I have seen as low a grade as VF and as high a grade as mint state. Also, I have seen common date to slightly better date dollars. In addition, the GSA also issued 'flat pack' or flexible plastic film holders with a dollar on one side and a GSA plastic emblem on the other side. These are scarcer and usually have a circulated common morgan dollar, although I have seen one with a Seated Liberty dollar.

TRUTH

I believe many of the Gsa cc Morgans that say "Silver Dollar" only on the hard case and still in the black box.... were the toned ones. They were culled out as undesirable and issued with the generic COA. I collect these when I can find nice ones.

Now days... these "undesirable" toned ones carry a big premium if they are attractive.

Thank you for the welcome.

My understanding is that the GSA's that only say "Silver Dollar" on the hard plastic are still uncirculated coins. Because they were tarnished or scuffed, they were placed in the mixed carson city pile. However, they are still uncirculated. Thus, I am not sure why they would grade less than MS60. Maybe someone can comment on that? The flat packs were intended for the circulated dollars, as you mentioned. Thank you for your response.

Here is one that was culled out. Says "Silver Dollar" on the plastic case, comes with the black box and generic COA. Grades 64+. Please see above attachment.

And welcome!!!

589a8b2b01150_252166-84ccGSAniceobv.jpg.b492875d55d1c2aa1338805dfcea53e6.jpg

She's a beauty! I get the feeling that most collectors don't realize that these GSA "Silver Dollars" are uncirculated. Which probably means I will have a difficult time getting my questions answered. I actually own a very nice mint state 1878-CC VAM 11 flat pack. Those were supposed to be circulated coins - I got lucky (for once). Thanks for the reply and the great picture!

The pieces that came in the hald plastic holders with just "silver dollar" marked on them were judged to be less than Mint State at the time. Quite often the coins ended up like that because they were toned or had excessive bag marks. Some of these pieces were Mint State, and given the lack of interest in the GSA holders in the late '70s and '80s, dealers rutinely cracked the coins out and sold them raw. That's probably why fewer of these holders are seen today.