• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thjis may be a stupid question but with the exception of a couple guys on the ..

16 posts in this topic

Boards,,,Who here would need the Consortium ,,,

I'm not being a smart when I ask..

my coins are not High dollar by any stretch of the imagination and to be honest I have 5 times as many raw Morgans than I do slabbed ones..

My Modern stuff is of no interest to them and my Commems, Half Cents etc,etc are raw as well..

Do I ever think that I will get to Boilers and TDN's and others level,,,I don't think so..

I will say this about those type of collectors though...God Bless them...

I think I would Pay to see Boilers Pattern collection..

I don't drink but I think I would spring for a bottle of Louis X111 to relax and check them out.. :cool:

Although I genuinely wish them well, and believe that they're necessary, the Consortium will never do anything which has the slightest effect on me. I don't swim in those waters.

I just wish someone would point that kind of capitalization towards combating the Alphabet Slabbers on Ebay. While the Consortium is saving numismatics for themselves and people like them, the next generation of middle-class coin collectors, people like you and me, are being roasted by frauds and driven from the hobby.

Good point Maulemall! The coins that I collect which fit my budget and interests would hardly qualify for the higher end material that I imagine the Consortium would handle.

Personally the only time I would anticipate an opinion such as the Consortium might offer would be if I was buying something such as blue IHC or an expensive early copper that are outside my usual collecting patterns.

Having read the discussions on both threads here and in the US Coins section on the Consortium my opinion really hasn't changed. For those who want an added layer of assurance buying a coin then go for it. I honestly don't know how much this might affect me in my routine collecting since I suspect that the consortium would deal in coins primarily in the thousands of dollars rather than the hundreds of dollars.

Might it impact someone telling another what they should collect? Possibly, but I will still collect what I like and appeals to me and fits into my collection.

Maulemall you coins may not be high dollar now and while most new circulating coins are not .You never know when i started 1955 double dies cents were $5.00 each in CONN you can't

tell something you have now 52yrs down the road you maybe could use that consortium.

My ten most expensive coins probably average a couple thousand dollars each. They all proudly reside in albums, and I could not possibly care less about whether someone else approves of the coins or not. And when I go to sell them, I still won't care. I paid for the coins to enjoy them, not to make money on them.

My ten most expensive coins probably average a couple thousand dollars each. They all proudly reside in albums, and I could not possibly care less about whether someone else approves of the coins or not. And when I go to sell them, I still won't care. I paid for the coins to enjoy them, not to make money on them.

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

I think my most valuable coin is worth about $3,000 but that isn't what I paid for it.

Chris

Maulemall---- Am sort of like James. Have several pretty valuable coins---but not a whole bunch. Much of what I own were accumulations that I have bought over the years. If you bought silver at 4 times face years ago---and now it is 8 or 9 times face---you have made money. I didn't need to sell any of it----so I kept it. So, like you, most of my coins would certainly not need a Consortium.

Since I usually buy 'raw' coins, I really depend upon myself for whatever I buy. But, if I bought out of my area of expertise, then maybe I would or should have some help. Say I found a bunch of "pattern" coins. Would then want all the help that I could get. Especially if the value of the pieces were into the multiples of thousands of dollars.

An investor would need some Numismatic help. Folks that invest---even if they know nothing of coins. A dealer could use the Consortium coins to convince the investor of the quality of the investment. This would be the type of coins that are fairly rare. The proof only issues---early gold---early half and silver dollars. The kind of coins that maybe only a couple of hundred are extant today in all grades. Also the kind of coins that have been messed with an awful lot.

So, I agree with you that most average collectors will not really need to spend money on Consortium graded coins. The guy who collects circulated coins from say 1930 onward---or collects only modern coins. But, if you intend to start buying 5--10,000 dollar stuff, then maybe a second or third opinion might not be a bad idea. Especially if you are buying into areas where counterfeit coins are a common problem or where the coin doctors have been especially active. Or maybe where a toning issue of originality could be a difference of thousands of dollars in value. Bob [supertooth]

If this idea gets off the ground it will affect me.

Given the huge rise in prices for early U.S. coins, I quite a number of pieces that are said to be worth more than say $5,000. I bought a lot of these coins raw and had them slabbed years ago. I’ve also bought quite a few expensive coins in the mean time. Now if this consortium thing gets off the ground I’ll be faced with two poor choices.

The first one is if these guys only choose to bless the coins that they own or have owned. That means I’m out in the cold completely, which one could construe as a constraint of trade.

The second on is that I have to spend money to have all of my coins graded all over again by the consortium to get a fair market price for them … if the consortium consents to looking at my coins at all before I might sell them.

Either choice is the pits.

I no longer have many coins worth more than $2000.00. Most of what I have left in my collection is a mixture of collector grade and 20th century type coins. I pay premiums for nice coins but not more than small change compared to the natural market for CAG.

I still feel that the marketing (value added) niche for CAG will be for well-to-do, collectors/investors who have money but neither the time and/or interest to read, go to shows and learn the hobby. These people will purchase via dealer proxy or auction of the higher price bracket, scarcer material that will benefit from a TPG, plus fourth party certification.

Although probably on the low-end of the target market, I would seriously consider using the services of the consortium. You may now continue to label and judge those who would consider it, but my rationale is as follows: 1) It could benefit me if I ever came to sell my coins, 2) It is supporting principles and ideals that I condone, and 3) I could learn through the process. And for the record, I have the time and interst to learn about the hobby, I go to shows, and I buy raw and slabbed coins with equal confidence...Mike

Although probably on the low-end of the target market, I would seriously consider using the services of the consortium. You may now continue to label and judge those who would consider it, but my rationale is as follows: 1) It could benefit me if I ever came to sell my coins, 2) It is supporting principles and ideals that I condone, and 3) I could learn through the process. And for the record, I have the time and interst to learn about the hobby, I go to shows, and I buy raw and slabbed coins with equal confidence...Mike

I personally do not foresee any reason to have coins in my collection "blessed". It may or may not be worthwhile to have them stickered prior to selling; time will tell. From the little information we have so far, this appears to be a tool for buyers and sellers, not holders (no pun intended).

I have no use for the consortium and I will believe it is going to happen when I see their material in the marketplace.
Just saving another quote for future reference.

In principle and given the current limited knowledge of this entire endeavor, I tend to agree with Mike in FL. on these key points.

Rey