• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Population reports for Presidential Proof dollars

4 posts in this topic

http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/poplookup-reportlarge.asp?PopSubCatID=89&Designation=PF

Atleast from those reports (not sure how updated they are), looks like we have 711 complete sets in PF70.

Anyone know any mintage figures on the proof coins? Would be interesting to see the percentages of PF69 and PF70.

Side note: Does NGC release figures (or any other way to get them :) ) of how many coins were submitted? That would also be another interesting figure (i.e. if only 1% of coins submitted were graded PF70...)

The total coins submitted, at least for moderns like this, is the sum of the coins in all grades. I.e., there were 5900 PR69 washingtons, and 850 pr70s. The total is 6750, so 12.5% made the cut. The percentages all look about the same, with the TJ being the lowest.

From my understanding, the population report is only for coins that have been assigned a unique serial number and slabbed by NGC.

Many dealers who submit newly issued modern proof coins put a minimum grade that they want NGC to encapsulate (for most cases this grade is usually 69 because anything less in not marketable). Coins that do not make this grade are not encapsulated or assigned a unique serial number by NGC so they do no appear on the population report.

So if you have a coin that is grading very poorly and a significant number of coins are lower than 69UC, and the person/dealer who submitted the coins to NGC put a minimum grade of 69UC, the population report will not show all the lower than 69UC coins making the coins look like they are grading higher overall than reality. Basically, the population report only shows coins that were graded , encapsulated, and get an NGC serial number, which can leave out a significant number of lower grade coins that were under the minimum grade the large bulk modern coin dealers asked to be encapsulated.

I have close relationship with 2 of the largest modern proof coin submitters to NGC, and they always run into problems trying to get rid of the coins that did not make the grade (under 69UC).

I have close relationship with 2 of the largest modern proof coin submitters to NGC, and they always run into problems trying to get rid of the coins that did not make the grade (under 69UC).

I could see that being a problem. Those coins are now out of their original goverment packaging and it could be hard to sell proof coins out of their box (they are probably out of the plastic casing Mint gives, so more prone to marks/damange).