• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Intrested in sending coins in for conservation READ THIS POST (NCS)

33 posts in this topic

In the morning i am sending Ten coins away to NCS to have them conserved .

The lot of coins are a Very mixed bunch and i thaught it would be of intrest to you all to see the results of a submition of the coins and what NCS can do with them..

all coins are to be returned to me UN-SLABBED so i can Scan the results (same way) and show you what to expect..

any i deam worthey will be submitted to NGC..

Coin 1

Is a Copper PREAMBULATION TOKEN dated 1836 from the duke of Northumberland, VERY rare only the 2nd one ever found.

Condition: Filled with grease {lightley}

NCSDukeofnorthumberland.jpg

NCSDukeofnorthumberlandr.jpg

Coin 2

Is a copper Trade token from Wm Davison of Alnwick Northumberland and is the only one known from this firm

Condition: Filled with grease {very heavy}

NCSDavisonalnwick.jpg

NCSDavisonalnwickr.jpg

Coin 3

Is a Copper Penny of Queen Victoria dated 1883 Not uncommon but well minted

Condition: dirty

NCS1883r.jpg

NCS1883.jpg

Coin 4

Is a proof Anniversay silver token from a local engengering firm, only 100 ever minted

Condition: Spotted

NCSWallsendr.jpg

NCSWallsend.jpg

Coin 5

Is a Detector found Rosa America penny 1723

Condition: Corroded and ? wax on rev

NCSRosaAmerica.jpg

NCSRosaAmericar.jpg

Coin 6

Is a Peru 1/5 Sol silver coin over date 1864 over 1863 with a reeded edge insted of plain

Condition: Toned and muck around the date

NCSPeur.jpg

NCSPerur.jpg

Coin 7

Is a 1937 $2.50 Escudos portugal silver coin (Very rare date coin) found in a job lot of coins on ebay for £5

Condition: Badly toned and grease filled

NCSPortugal.jpg

NCSPortugalr.jpg

Coin 8

Is a Ebay job lot (£35) found Philip and Mary hammerd Groat (4p) with the rare single head of mary and fls mint mark 1554-58

Condition: Mucky

NCSPM.jpg

NCSPMr.jpg

Coin 9

Is a Edward VI shilling dateing from 1551-53 hammered coin found a few years back with a meatal detector and is uncleaned

Condition: Mucky

NCSEdward.jpg

NCSEdwardr.jpg

Coin 10

is a Detector found Vep Corf Celtic silver Unit found in linconshire earlier this year of the Corieltauvi tribe of the 1st Century BC

Condition: stiil full of soil

NCSVEP.jpgNCSVEPr.jpg

So there you have them lets see what NCS make of this little lot and how they come back

remember this post is to learn from

Please feel free to comment on any coin in the post and weather or not the coins will turn out better or worse with conservation....BUT non are for sale lol

all the best dooly

Ps has any one seen a $2.50 1937 Portugal before ?

THANK YOU THANK YOU

These will do very nicely.. coins 5 onwards are particularly interesting for me as I have a silver crown with nasty toning :D

Dooly, I am very interested in this. I'm considering sending in a few coins also. Perfect timing and thanks for sharing!!!

Well, we will see what they can do with my silver crown too

Dark unattractive toning was the verdict from NGC, so NCS get a shot at it :D hopefully it comes back near-white with colour

obv.jpg

slab.jpg

I think that should come back a few grades higher after conservation (shame they could not spell Australia lol)

mine arived safely on the 23rd and they should be conserved in 4-6 Weeks

Well, we will see what they can do with my silver crown too

Dark unattractive toning was the verdict from NGC, so NCS get a shot at it :D hopefully it comes back near-white with colour

obv.jpg

slab.jpg

Raresov, Why is your PCGS slab that your crown coin is in, have australia spelled wrong and also why is there a green ring around the coin? I've never seen a PCGS slab like this before..

Thanks

Thanks for the bump there Keleum shame there is no order statius for Conservation only !!

when i get this lot back i am going to send 15 USA for conservation that should be intresting when i post it on the usa fourm !!

all the best dooly

What's the ETA on your shipment? I'd really like to see how they come out!

I've got some old 1800s - 1860s Sicilian coppers that are ugly as sin - some are almost black, much like the first coin or two in your gallery here. On the oldest ones the field is criss-crossed with crackle patterns where even more dirt is embedded. They're probably worth more as family heirlooms than collectables - I don't know where I can get a quick reference on their value - so I'm thinking of having them cleaned so that they can be passed on to family and admired. Generally speaking, how much can a professional cleaning of these kinds of coppers improve their appearance? Any insights on the results and advisability of pro cleaning for these specimens, and before/after pics, would be appreciated.

Hi there

i was going to bump this post today as i phoned NCS yesterday and they said i should be reciving the coins back in the next couple of weeks :wishluck:

as for your coins if you could send me some pictures as a pm i will find the values for you.

As for conservation of your coins depending on the type of muck which is on the coin it can be amazing. I had a very rare copper coin which was graded as a MS-63 but when is was conserved it graded as a MS-65 ..

all the best dooly

Mine they decided better NOT to conserve it *sigh*

Given up, and put it on eBay.

:sorry: Sorry to hear that !! So its gradeable but not conserable ?

They thought it best not to conserve it, might not preserve well

I have the feeling the MS64 number on it has something to do with it still, because it might risk losing it to a 63 if conserves badly ?

Its still a nice coin, but I don't collect silver as the name suggests :D

Hi there

as for your coins if you could send me some pictures as a pm i will find the values for you.

As for conservation of your coins depending on the type of muck which is on the coin it can be amazing. I had a very rare copper coin which was graded as a MS-63 but when is was conserved it graded as a MS-65 ..

I'll send pics as soon as I can get to it.

MS-63? Wow. Mine are more like "I'll be lucky if they get VG-F" but as I said, they're family items, not a prospective car payment. I just want them to look a little more impressive when I show them to my kids as part of their heritage.