• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Newbie Here

25 posts in this topic

I used to collect coins as a kid looking to jam every coin I could get into those blue Whitman folders just intent on filling in all the holes with little understanding of grade, rarity and value. As a kid in school, there was no way I could "buy" any coins. A few months ago, 25 years later, I found my old collection stored away in boxes and decided to take up the hobby again. I was suprised to find a about 100 '71 Ikes, various Morgans, various Silver Eagles and '64 Kennedys.

Anyway, looking forward to reading and learning more about my rejuvenated hobby. Pardon me if I should ask some very "newbie" questions in the future.

Welcome SEC! You have started back into the hobby the way that many do - and it's a fun road! A few years ago I began going through my old collection from when I was a kid and also my parents' collection. The process took me two years! It was a fun journey, though, and in the meanwhile I did the ANA's Numismatic Scholar course and read all I could. I'm still reading and learning, and the hobby simply changes and evolves for me now, like never before. Hope you have so much fun!

Hoot

Welcome. I still have many of my Whitman folders I assembled as a kid. Some of the cheap coins I bought back then have become expensive coins, believe it or not; even some cleaned ones, like my bust halves There's nothing like finding out a $10 coin is now a $100 coin wink.gif

Welcome, SEC.

Do you really have Silver American Eagles in your box that you had as a kid? The reason I ask is that if you stopped your accumulation of coins 25 years ago then you would have stopped collecting coins eight years before the first Silver American Eagles were released. Might the pieces you have be silver rounds?

Well actually my mother put a huge jar of dollars she collected in my box when I picked up my boxes from her house just a few years back. So to be exact they were not part of MY collection but my mother's collection. It really wasn't a collection but more of a change jar from back in the days when paper was not prevalent. To be honest I don't know how she got silver eagles but there are six 1997 silver eagles in the mix. I think she just knew of my affinity towards to silver dollars.

My pathetic collection basically consists of the blue Whitman books and several tubes of Lincoln wheat pennies, mediocre buffalo nickels and a few indian pennies.

There no such thing as a mediocre buffalo nickel!!! grin.gif

Hey Tom, did ya catch that? Pennies? pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies pennies insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Don't worry SEC, Tom just gets a little in-cents-ed with the use of the word PENNIES when referring to copper coins of the U.S. 893whatthe.gif Sorry to jump on your thread, just couldn't resist! grin.gif

Hoot

Tom: Sorry for the pennies faux pas!! What is the appropriate term used here on the boards?

Hoot: As for mediocre buffalo nickels you are begining to sound like a grading service that, from what I hear, often overgrade coins!!!

Hoot: As for mediocre buffalo nickels you are begining to sound like a grading service that, from what I hear, often overgrade coins!!!

27_laughing.gif No, just a buffalo nickel nut insane.gif.

And I wouldn't worry about Tom - he's quite cents-able. stooges.gif

Hoot

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Okay, Hoot, just for that I won't sell you my mini-hoard of AU58 Indian half eagles! 893whatthe.gif No matter how many f 893censored-thumb.gif'in pennies you offer me for them! shocked.gif893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif It's too bad, too, as they all have thick, original skin that has developed over the years since they were pulled out of circulation and carefully put into 1930s coin boards. Beautiful, delicate patina clinging to their frosty, abrasion free design elements with only a hint of rub on the Native American's recessed cheekbone. Ahhh, such nice coins.cloud9.gif I guess now I won't be offering them to you at just over melt.

Was that good? acclaim.gif

Oh, SEC, don't worry about me, I normally don't bite! 893whatthe.gif

The comment about the dates of the ASEs and your collection was just to clear up if you had ASEs or silver rounds such as the Prospector silver rounds that were very popular about 25 years ago. Welcome. smile.gif

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Okay, Hoot, just for that I won't sell you my mini-hoard of AU58 Indian half eagles! 893whatthe.gif No matter how many f 893censored-thumb.gif'in pennies you offer me for them! shocked.gif893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif It's too bad, too, as they all have thick, original skin that has developed over the years since they were pulled out of circulation and carefully put into 1930s coin boards. Beautiful, delicate patina clinging to their frosty, abrasion free design elements with only a hint of rub on the Native American's recessed cheekbone. Ahhh, such nice coins.cloud9.gif I guess now I won't be offering them to you at just over melt.

Sob, sniff... sorry.gif I'm just trying to make cents of your incentsitivity. Seems centsless. Ever cents I read this, I've felt deci-mated. Now I feel you were just trying to be centsationalistic. Now I'm losing all centsation. I know this all sound like noncents, or like I'm too centsitized, but I'm having trouble forming a good centence. I'm just too centamental. insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif (Okay, I'll shut up now flamed.gif).

Hoot

No need to get choked up about it, Hoot. You are just too cent-imental. Why don't you light a few of those buffalo chip in-cents sticks you own and forget about it? smile.gif

I think Dry and SEC should run away as far and as fast as they can. The corn around here is pretty high!

laugh.gif

EVP

Dry, SEC - Don't be cent away by EVP. He only half there. smirk.gifblush.gifgrin.gif All his coins, big and small, take a back seat to most. He finds Demi Moore quite centillating.

Oh no, I've done it again... sorry.gif

(The medication must not be working today insane.gif).

Hoot

Well SEC - you've certainly had quite an introduction to this Forum. Quite a bunch of characters that hang around here. And if ya haven't run yet - then you're not likely to grin.gif

Welcome to the Forum wink.gif

You're in rare form today Hoot grin.gif

You've started a fun thread SEC! laugh.gif

It's great to see people having fun w/o all of the non-cents! smirk.gif

Y'all made my day, er, I mean, my night since I work graves.