• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Effects of materials other than PVC plastic on coins

2 posts in this topic

I have read that over time, plastics made with PVC will emit a vapor that is extremely detrimental to coins. And mylar is inert and the better choice. What about other materials.

I am using "foamboard", also referred to as "foam core board". It is a paper backed material with an interior foam core. The interior foam core is similar to packaging peanuts, but not the same. The core appears as a crystalline structure. I bought a 20"x30" piece at Staples.

Does any one know for sure if this material is "safe" to use around coins?

PVC holders can damage coins in long-term storage.

While foam core is fine for coins in an exhibit at a convention where the coins will be in contact with the board for only a few days at most, I would not recommend foam core for long-term storage. I have not seen any direct evidence or scientific studies on the off-gassing of foam core materials. I would have doubts that the paperboard used in foam core is archival quality meaning free of sulphur and acid.

I would be wary of using foam core in long-term storage capacities.

Chris, NCS