• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned 1967 Canada proof set Questions...

24 posts in this topic

i have just won this proof set at my local auction room

i quite like the toneing and i fancy geting the silvers Multi holdered

Q. will ngc let me add the Medal to the set

Q. will other silver coins tone in the box they came in

tried to post the pictures i cannot get it to work H E L P !!!!!!!!!! 67m.jpg

6750r.jpg

6725r.jpg

6725.jpg

6710r.jpg

6710.jpg

671r.jpg

671.jpg

6750.jpg

Can.jpg

sussed it !!!!

Dooley,

Not sure what you did but the post is all over the place, had a hard time finding this reply box. (if I could figure out how to post the smiley face now I would). Anyways, I like the coins very much. I believe that NGC will multiholder the coins including the medal if you specifically ask. They indicated to me at one time that if the coins I wanted in a multiholder would fit their pre-sized holders they would do it. But be specific on the invoice. I have numerous Canadian proof sets still in their original boxes and none have any toning like these, in fact I don't think any of them have any toning at all.

Again, I like these coins, good win Dooley.

Rey

Nice one rey..it should be an intresting Multi holder

675r.jpg

675.jpg

671r-1.jpg

671-1.jpg

the other coins have stayed the same ! i wish you could see the Oil on Water toneing !!!

Sorry old camara

P10100081.jpg

P10100021.jpg

Got a message back today from NGC saying they could not add the meadal as it was not issued with a mint set ?

Got a message back today from NGC saying they could not add the meadal as it was not issued with a mint set ?

As a bit of trivia, I was in Grade Four in 1967 and everyone at school received a bronze medal like this in a cellophane wrap.

Dennis

If the set came in a red cardboard box with a white lid, it's not a proof set. The silver mediallion sets contain "prooflikes" (AKA "numismatic BU" coins).

I don't know if silver coins put in the box will continue to react with it. Let us know if you perform experiments.

If the set came in a red cardboard box with a white lid, it's not a proof set. The silver mediallion sets contain "prooflikes" (AKA "numismatic BU" coins).

I don't know if silver coins put in the box will continue to react with it. Let us know if you perform experiments.

Hi there thanks for the responce..

the box is a real leather on which folds out with a silky lineing

P10100151.jpg

and has ROYAL CANADIAN MINT OTTAWA MONNAIE ROYALE CANADIENNE impressed in silver to the lid

P10100191.jpg

hope that helps you ID it..

Yes it will be intresting when i put some silvers in it lets see what happens

(thumbs u

HUMMMM hm

Gets stranger the case is Real leather and is stamped so ! also the case was made in canada.. wonder if the MInt could give me some information on it ?

In 1967 the Royal Canadian Mint produced two special cased coin sets to mark the 100th anniversarfy of Confederation. The one you have Dooley is the Silver Medallion Set which was issued in a red leather-covered case and contained the 1 cent to 1 dollar in "proof-like" finishes and the sterling silver medallion. The medallion wasa designed by Thomas Shingles. Original issue price was $12.00 Canadian. Current values are from PL 65 to PL 68 are $25, $30, $35, and $40 respectively.

Rey

Shiri,

I have seen at least 3 colors of boxes on these. Black which is the most common , red, then Brown. I beleive the brown (might be red or another color though its been awhile) is very rare and at one time people were paying a premium for them. I will have to ask a client who is a Canada coin nut about them. I think he told me he paid $1k for a brown? box without coins in the 80's but will have to confirm. I beleive it was never issued with brown boxes but some were made as a sample for the Canadian mint or some such. The browns? were smuggled out of the mint and sold on the sly. Might be wrong on the color being brown of the tough one.

Shiri,

I have seen at least 3 colors of boxes on these. Black which is the most common , red, then Brown. I beleive the brown (might be red or another color though its been awhile) is very rare and at one time people were paying a premium for them. I will have to ask a client who is a Canada coin nut about them. I think he told me he paid $1k for a brown? box without coins in the 80's but will have to confirm. I beleive it was never issued with brown boxes but some were made as a sample for the Canadian mint or some such. The browns? were smuggled out of the mint and sold on the sly. Might be wrong on the color being brown of the tough one.

I'll check my Charlton Guide tonight to see if it notes any differences in boxes. The case that commands a big premium is the one for the 1970 specimen set. They have been known to see for over $1,000. The story goes that 1,000 were made to be passed out by diplomats. Those not so used were supposedly sold by the mint to collectors.

I have seen Centennial Sets made up of circulation coins and put in boxes by private banks (e.g. the Bank of Montreal), also.

Not sure if the Charlton would have it or not, but am sure it was the 67 set not the 70 (although I am aware of that one also). I beleive the number in private hands is under a dozen. I will try to contact my client if I get a chance tommorow, was unsucessful so far this week.

OK, I found it.

Charlton lists the black case with gold coat of arms as Case 14 and lists it as being worth $10. The case in brown leather with gold coat of arms is Case 14a and lists for $50. Maroon leather with black coat of arms is Case 14b and lists for $50.

The 1970 specimen set in a special black case lists for $700.

Well done there .. not bad price i paid for it then only one question mine has a silver coat of arms ?

:hi:

In 1967 the Royal Canadian Mint produced two special cased coin sets to mark the 100th anniversarfy of Confederation. The one you have Dooley is the Silver Medallion Set which was issued in a red leather-covered case and contained the 1 cent to 1 dollar in "proof-like" finishes and the sterling silver medallion. The medallion wasa designed by Thomas Shingles. Original issue price was $12.00 Canadian. Current values are from PL 65 to PL 68 are $25, $30, $35, and $40 respectively.

Rey

The proof-like finish was used between 1954 to 1967. Frosted to Semi-mirror relief against a semi-mirror background. The coins were produced with polished dies, struck on polished planchets and receive speical handling. There are four major die states recorded for proof-like coins. Ultra Heavy Cameo, (can be found on all Proof coins after 1981), Heavy Cameo, Cameo and No Cameo.

Dooley, the "coat of arms" you mention is the medallion in this set.

Rey

Well done there .. not bad price i paid for it then only one question mine has a silver coat of arms ?

:hi:

D'oh! doh!

I looked up the specimen set cases and not the silver medalliion prooflike cases!

By the way, I noticed two different clasps on the specimen set cases I have. One is a snap-lock and the other is a slide-lock. With the current pathological obsession with microgrades, die varieties, etc. in the coin collecting world, I wonder if there is a premium for one over the other. Perhaps I could get rich finding out how many different case manufacturers there were, how many each made, and how many survive so I could make a specimen case population guide. :acclaim:

I just checked my silver medallion set. My case has a slide lock clasp and yours has a snap lock/ I wonder which one is scarcer.

All the silver coins are toned dark blue, and the cent and 5 cents are untoned (although the cent is slightly spotty).