• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Morgan Dollar Grading Document - Pre-Slab?

4 posts in this topic

I found this pretty interesting. I recently purchased this 1903-O Morgan Dollar and the grading service issued this docuemnt with photos of the coin and the grading. I had never seen one of these before. Does this item (with the coin, of course) have any enhanced value?

53086-1903-o.jpg

edited to add image.

53086-1903-o.jpg.4245b236a68e27adf9579375e0a96747.jpg

Frank,

Before slabs, ANACS would grade the piece and give this, which is called a Photocertificate. The drawback is that unless the coin has some identifying color or mark that is unique, you could theoretically sub any similar coin for that piece.

Frank: These cards were the first attempt, back in the 70's and early 80's, to grade coins in an ANACS slab with permanent documentation. There used to be a lot of them floating around with their respective slabs, but most have probably disappeared by now. There were abuses of this method. As Keith said, unless there was some distinquishing feature on the coin, it was difficult to prove it was the same coin.

I do not know if someone would pay a premium for just the card, unless the ANACS slab is with it. Then it would, most likely, draw a premium payment on the package. tongue.gif