• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New forum software?

139 posts in this topic

I received the recommendation of uploading IE7 with some hostility since I do not believe that I should change my settings when I am contributing to the profile and viability of a website. In my opinion, the NGC suggestion to upload IE7 was inappropriate.

You should change from IE6 to IE7 because IE6 sucked. :/ IE7 is much better. Still not up to FireFox, but it is much better.

It doesn't matter which is better, the recommendation was what bothered me.

What advertisement is on the page? I know others have said they, too, see it, but I must have it blocked. "If I had my thinking man emoticon I would insert it here."

I will admit that the advertisement in the middle of our conversations is a bit cheesy. Hopefully, something will be done to improve that…

Shameless advertiseing lol but for some reason i have the urge to visit the teletrade website....

What advertisement is on the page? I know others have said they, too, see it, but I must have it blocked. "If I had my thinking man emoticon I would insert it here."

Hehe. You know I didn’t notice it at home while using my IE6 either. Right now I’m using IE7 and I see it. *insert thinking gremlin here*

The other feature that I’m not overly thrilled about is that new scrolling in the quotes. It’s as if the setting for the software is on 800X600 *insert thinking gremlin here*

I received the recommendation of uploading IE7 with some hostility since I do not believe that I should change my settings when I am contributing to the profile and viability of a website. In my opinion, the NGC suggestion to upload IE7 was inappropriate.

You should change from IE6 to IE7 because IE6 sucked. :/ IE7 is much better. Still not up to FireFox, but it is much better.

It doesn't matter which is better, the recommendation was what bothered me.

What was it about the recommendation that bothers you?

One of the issues that those of us who deal with the computer industry run into on a daily basis is the one of compatibility. Everyone wants new features. Everyone wants the next great thing. But when we try to deliver, we are hamstrung by old software that does not function correctly in order to provide the functionality. What do you suggest we do?

Internet Explorer 6 is severely lacking in its capabilities and its implementation of the standards that Microsoft has allegedly pushed on the industry. If we were to continue to rely on IE6 as the baseline, users would continue to use stale, less than functional software. A line has to be drawn and IE6 is now below that line.

Unless you are into online games or using an application that requires Microsoft-only technologies (e.g., ActiveX), then I highly recommend the use of Firefox. Firefox is safer (that excites my infosec side), easier to use, and is customizable with extensions that are very helpful. For example, I do not see the ads because I am using AdBlock with Firefox. AdBlock is great! The first time I see an ad I right click on the ad and select "AdBlock Image" in the menu. This works on every version of Firefox (Mac or PC).

Other great extensions is NoScript and Sage. NoScript blocks scripts that are used in pages that will cause problems. I do not turn on scripting unless I know the site that I am using. For these pages, NoScript blocks scripts from tritechmarketing.com (sorry, CCG). Sage is a very simple and elegant RSS reader that works very nicely with Firefox.

I'll get off my soapbox. But it would help to understand your concerns.

As for other who say "because IE6 sucks" or similar comments, please remember that this type of response does not help.

Scott :cool:

the pms seem to be held in files now. when you change the subject title it creates a file for that conversation :) i kinda like that! the colors could be a lil more seperate(a darker color for unread posts) the scrolling in the quotes is a lil odd i think :) and could use a pm instead of email under posts. otherwize things are smooth and i kan go from coins to comics in a click of a drop down (love it)

The recommendation to go from IE 6 to IE 7 is no more bothering than it is to recommend you go from Windows 95 to 98, then to XP, then to Vista.

If you wanna stay stuck in the 90's, then stay there, but do not complain when new stuff won't work on your outdated system.Regardless of what you may think, IE6 is outdated.....Use IE7....it works fine.....

Ans since Scott told how he got rid of ads on firefox, I will stick out my neck and explain how to on IE.....

When you see an ad, right click on it, then go to properties....you will see the site it came from....like adfarm.adworld.com/2347/abcd444..........(fictitious site)

Just go to Internet options, then security, then restricted sites, and enter in the site name, Viola, the ads are gone.....

One note, just enter the site... (adfarm.adworld.com) do not enter all the other junk.....

MM

You guys are being ridiculous. You can’t design websites that aren’t compatible back 1 browser version and hope that nobody is affected. I am a DBA by trade but I do create web apps when time permits. I can tell you that creating web apps that won’t work on IE 6 is just ridiculous. You’d lose far to many customers.

The little link at the top of each page that said "Go to first unread post" is gone. I used that thing all the time.

:(

You guys are being ridiculous. You cant design websites that arent compatible back 1 browser version and hope that nobody is affected. I am a DBA by trade but I do create web apps when time permits. I can tell you that creating web apps that wont work on IE 6 is just ridiculous. Youd lose far to many customers.

Actually, IE6 is not just one version back. There have been several versions of IE7 already out......it is one GENERATION of versions back.

I am an "old" dude, and Iiken this to the days when color tv came out. If you wanted to see the show in color, you could only do one thing. Go out and get the new color TV. You could not sit around and grumble about how your old B&W would not show you color......

MM

You guys are being ridiculous. You cant design websites that arent compatible back 1 browser version and hope that nobody is affected. I am a DBA by trade but I do create web apps when time permits. I can tell you that creating web apps that wont work on IE 6 is just ridiculous. Youd lose far to many customers.

Actually, IE6 is not just one version back. There have been several versions of IE7 already out......it is one GENERATION of versions back.

MM

Please open IE, go to "help", "About Internet Explorer", and tell me if it reads "version" or "GENERATION"

Scott, the wording of the recommendation bothered me since it appeared to read in a condescending manner, which I do not take kindly to when I believe it is not required. I also do not see the ads since I have them all blocked. Neither do I see them at PCGS, but others claim they are there, too. I am by no means an expert on any of these IT issues, but I have manually configured my computer to be as secure as I can make it both while surfing and not surfing. Aside from coin sites I spend very little time on the web and IE6 has worked just dandy for that.

ugly-men20copy.jpg we Had a little trouble posting photos. But my brother Bobby figured it out.

You still have that Irvin? lol

I tried IE7 once and it just did not work very well. This was a while back. has it been improved??

Well i just upgraded to IE7 and I only see 2 differences. The NGC ad bar and finally the "My messages" option in my stuff.

• Administrator
Scott, the wording of the recommendation bothered me since it appeared to read in a condescending manner, which I do not take kindly to when I believe it is not required. I also do not see the ads since I have them all blocked. Neither do I see them at PCGS, but others claim they are there, too. I am by no means an expert on any of these IT issues, but I have manually configured my computer to be as secure as I can make it both while surfing and not surfing. Aside from coin sites I spend very little time on the web and IE6 has worked just dandy for that.

Sorry, Tom. Just kidding around a little. Mostly the wording was for the comic guys... who were freaking outt. Thought a little humor might break things up a bit.

• Administrator
What about the guys like me who cannot upgrade to IE7?

It will be getting adjusted. For a list of known issues see that post at the top.

ugly-men20copy.jpg we Had a little trouble posting photos. But my brother Bobby figured it out.

You still have that Irvin? lol

I tried IE7 once and it just did not work very well. This was a while back. has it been improved??

Which one is you Boss? :hi:

in time it will all be better.... How about a skin that looks like the old NGC? Sorta like windows has with its classic version?