• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 3-cent "story" collection is basically complete

6 posts in this topic

I recently acquired a 3-cent fractional note which helps illustrate what people were using at the end and after the Civil War for small purchases and stamp purchases. Then, I thought, hey, I need the 3-cent stamps that started off the whole reason (or one of the main reasons) for 3-cent coins to begin with. The first one is a Scott Catalog #11 and was minted starting in 1851. Three cent silvers were intended to buy this stamp. The second stamp is a Scott Catalog #65 and was minted starting in 1861. The 3-cent fractionals and then 3-cent nickels (which were meant to replace the 3-cent fractionals and missing silver coins) were meant to purchase this one.

I also have a counterfeit 1860 3CS which is a very cool addition to the "story". Other than patterns, is there anything else needed for a complete 3-cent story?

Stamp%20-%2011%20-%203%20cent.jpgStamp%20-%2065%20-%203%20cent.jpg

Unlike coins, resale on stamps like these is horrendous.

I'm doing something similar with five-cent pieces. While fractional currency doesn't play a role in the three-cent story, you might want to include one of these among your cast of characters:

AN64444409-oz.jpg

I agree, but I don't know if I can afford any encased stamps. I understand that they're a bit on the expensive side.

I couldn't believe how expensive they are when I first started investigating them. Just like I was surprised that counterstamped coins can get up there, too. Still, there not necessarily beyond reach, depending on how important it is to your collection and how much you can sock away over time. The example that I posted realized $230 at a Stack's auction about a year ago.

I'd have to agree about the resale of stamps. I recently sold about 95% of my collection and almost broke even. I gave up on stamps once I got started collecting coins, just lost interest.