• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can this german medal be saved???

11 posts in this topic

I think this is a commemorative of one of these votes to reunite Saarland with germany. "In 1935 the people of the Saar voted by a majority of more than 90 percent in favor of its political reintegration into Germany."

It was the only "coin" in a case of it's own. Where even the gold was in a baggie.

Image Hosting by Picoodle.com

img, Image Hosting

I don't planning on doing anything with it, until i figure out what it is.I have a bunch of tarnished silver pieces, to deal with, but this is the worse one. I assume that was because it was pure silver.

What are my options for trying to bring some shine back to this thing?

That entirely depends on whether you want to merely reduce its value, or totally destroy it.

To go all the way, I recommend several minutes soaking in a glass dish full of TarnX, followed by a thorough buffing with a brass brush in an electric drill. nervous%20breakdown.gif

That entirely depends on whether you want to merely reduce its value, or totally destroy it.

To go all the way, I recommend several minutes soaking in a glass dish full of TarnX, followed by a thorough buffing with a brass brush in an electric drill. nervous%20breakdown.gif

893whatthe.gifstooges.gif893whatthe.gifstooges.gif

Medals such as this attractively toned example, are best left as is in this nicely aged, original condition. Cleaning only imparts hairlines (scratches) and lowers the appeal for many, many collectors. Enjoy as is!

If you have other old silver you would like to post we'd be glad to take a look at it too.

I'm in the process of identifying it in Krause catalogs, etc. I'll post some more as I get good ones.

Thanks for your help.

I have several medals of this era, like this one. Is there a reference i can use to identify and value them? I tried the various krause catalogs, and no luck.

To let you guys know, that I am listening and taking your advice to heart. Here's the new home for this medal, for at least as long as it's under my watch.

f_IMG0935m_7c8e48b.jpg