• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Message Boards Down Tomorrow 7/12/07 for Upgrade

47 posts in this topic

• Administrator

We will be performing a server upgrade for the Collectors Society Message Boards on July 12, 2007. The upgrade will improve the speed and functionality of the message boards.

During the upgrade, the boards will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

My life will come to a screeching halt, and I will be lost and alone, confused in a world that doesn't understand my addiction. How could you do this to me?

Seriously, thanks for the heads-up, and good work.

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

My life will come to a screeching halt, and I will be lost and alone, confused in a world that doesn't understand my addiction. How could you do this to me?

Seriously, thanks for the heads-up, and good work.

is there no god! 27_laughing.gif i'll have to find something else to waste my time on! smile.gif

Thanks for the heads up!

Aaaahhh!!!! Freaky!!! Everything looks different!

Erm...no chance we can get a center tag for our signatures, is there? Maybe HTML-enable them?

Thanks for all the hard work and for providing these great forums!!!

It blows.

It's going to take some getting-used-to. If I had a gut-reaction complaint, it would be too much "dead space" on the screen. I can't see but one or two posts at a time in a thread. BUT maybe there are options to hide some of the junk I don't care about, freeing up some screen real estate....

It blows.

It's going to take some getting-used-to. If I had a gut-reaction complaint, it would be too much "dead space" on the screen. I can't see but one or two posts at a time in a thread. BUT maybe there are options to hide some of the junk I don't care about, freeing up some screen real estate....

That may be in the cascading style sheets that Arch said he was going to continue to work with. I think this is just the “out of the box” software. I think it will be better after Arch and Dena get a chance to toy with it a little.

Don't you think that NGC might have taken the time to test drive the software before screwing up the boards? I want my dancing banana and thinking man! :mad:

Don't you think that NGC might have taken the time to test drive the software before screwing up the boards? I want my dancing banana and thinking man! :mad:

I think they wanted to get the board up quickly. Fine tuning the user interface will come next. I have confidence. Here you can use this banana and thinking man for now pianobanana.gifconfused.gif

It blows.

That was my first reaction. Then I took some time to look at it, think about it, play with it, and...

I still don't like it.

1. Honestly, I don't like the way it looks at all. It looks far too much like that other place, boring and drab. Like James said, there is far too much dead space.

2. I don't like the color scheme. Give me my familiar color.

3. I don't like the threaded view, thankfully you let us change that.

4. I really hate the ads interspersed in the middle of the posts. Please get rid of that as soon as possible. Ads at the top of the page are fine, and expected, but in the middle of the posts is unacceptable.

5. I hate how when I click on a thread, it comes up in my browser on the last post (I am using Opera if that makes any difference.) If that is an option people want, then fine. But I want the option for it to come up on the first unread post, like on the old boards, whether that be the original post or one later in the thread. I really liked that feature.

6. Finally, the thing next to our posts where it says online or offline freaks me out. I don't see what the point of this is.

I guess it might be a little faster, I can't really tell. It didn't make much difference on my computer.

Now, I appreciate all that you guys are doing for us, Arch and crew, these are just my honest reactions. I know there are always things to fix, and I will probably get used to some of these (except the ads, get rid of them). So, thanks.

2. I don't like the color scheme. Give me my familiar color.

4. I really hate the ads interspersed in the middle of the posts. Please get rid of that as soon as possible. Ads at the top of the page are fine, and expected, but in the middle of the posts is unacceptable.

5. I hate how when I click on a thread, it comes up in my browser on the last post (I am using Opera if that makes any difference.) If that is an option people want, then fine. But I want the option for it to come up on the first unread post, like on the old boards, whether that be the original post or one later in the thread. I really liked that feature.

6. Finally, the thing next to our posts where it says online or offline freaks me out. I don't see what the point of this is.

I guess it might be a little faster, I can't really tell. It didn't make much difference on my computer.

Now, I appreciate all that you guys are doing for us, Arch and crew, these are just my honest reactions. I know there are always things to fix, and I will probably get used to some of these (except the ads, get rid of them). So, thanks.

I generally agree with these points. I really dislike the color scheme and the fonts seem a tad on the small side to me. There's just not enough contrast there for me, I think. The font size is making me squint a little to read it (and I'm 25).

I totally hate the mid-thread ads. I understand the role ads play in supporting free forums, but the ads were fine at the top; placing them in mid-thead is very, very distracting.

I didn't notice the problem with the thread skipping to the bottom of the posts. I use firefox.

The online/offline thing is okay with me, although I hate the mood graemlins: (1) they don't offer the range to illustrate my moods; (2) they are cutesy, which I dislike; and (3) they're completely irrelevant to coins - they look like generic yahoo! smileys. And they're too small.

"Faster speed" - I don't notice (much of) a difference, but some here seem to. Good for them, I suppose.

1. Fix the dropdown for board jumping to move away from the menu drop downs for IE6 users. IE6 USERS, USE THIS LINK TO SEE YOUR PMs.

4. Add more contrast to the new post coloration on the thread list.

5. Look at font sizes to bump them up

6. Increase the width of the quote boxes so there's less horizontal scrolling.

8. Liven up the "Gray" a bit

11. A make few alternate color versions of the template and put them in the user choice menu.

13. Look into the fact that new replies within a thread should be colored to be obvious just like new threads in the thread list.

14. Teeny tiny graemlins are cute... but require a magnifying glass. Look into fixing.

I'm down with all of those, definitely!

Bold, so it's clear: I appreciate Arch and the others working to build this forum up and improve our experience here. It's a lot of hard work, I know, without all the forum weenies (like me, I suppose) offering their two cents. However, I think that fellow forum-goers, particularly the very active ones, should have a say in how things progress]

WHAT I LIKE:

I love the quickquote feature. It's high time that the original speaker was automatically quoted at the start of a quoted block of text.

FINALLY: What happened to the feature from the old forums that let me hide all of the forums I didn't regularly read and only display the ones I frequented?

Also, can we set up the drop-down list of forums so you don't have to click on "GO" (i.e., like PCGS forums has it?). That extra step is a pain.

THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS!