• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What if NGC started body bagging all coins that might not be original?

8 posts in this topic

While this would please some thick skin fanatics. Oh Yeah! What effects would there be if all coins with any chance of ever having been cleanred, enhanced or doctored were to start coming back in body bags from the major services.

Which sectors of the market do you think would be most affected?

Heck the way things are going these days it's almost as if original coins are being penilized for not being bright white by many of the grading services. If they did not grade the cleaned and dipped stuff their would not be enough coins to meet the demand for collectors and dealers. mike

I agree with Boiler. Also like cladking, I like thick skinned coins and coins with original toning. But the key here is not whether a coin has been dipped or conserved, but whether the coin shows significant impairment from having been cleaned or altered. In many cases, the original surfaces of coins, with all the accumulated contaminants, can be doing more harm than a well-done dip or conservation.

As for what area of the market would be most affected? Morgans and 20th century silver, especially ultra-modern peacock [!@#%^&^]. makepoint.gif

Hoot

What either service does, bodybaging, lowering or raising standards, start a series of hamburger chains, develop a new shampoo, I DO NOT CARE. laugh.gif

What part of the market would be effected if NGC started body-bagging "non-original" coins? I don't know but I thought they were SUPPOSED to do that in the first place. But, hey, what do I know?

jom

If it suddenly happened that a coin that has been dipped, conserved or cleaned was bodybagged - then there wouldn't be a whole lot of coins in slabs. Except a lot of the moderns.

True - there are moderns that have been dipped. But in my opinion there are a lot more that have not been. I have read and been given estimates over the years that 80% or 90% of the Morgans have been dipped at one time or another. I think the same is pretty much true about most older silver. And sometimes gold as well.

But Hoot makes a good point. There are those times when some toning can be harmful to a coin. If left unchecked - it can damage the coin greatly. So in a case like that - is it wrong to dip the coin and try to stop the damage ? I don't think so. But by the same token I do not think it can be stated as a generality that dipping is good. For many times dipping is harmful too. It all depends on the individual coin.

What I find wrong with dipping is the reason the vast majority of it is done - $$$$. When someone dips a coin because they think it will make it grade higher - then I have a problem with it. If they dip a coin because they think it will enhance the beauty or prevent further environmental damage - then I don't have a problem with it. That's a fine line to walk I know. But I don't know how else to say it.

While this would please some thick skin fanatics. Oh Yeah! What effects would there be if all coins with any chance of ever having been cleanred, enhanced or doctored were to start coming back in body bags from the major services.

Which sectors of the market do you think would be most affected?

I'd say that the supple of 18th and 19th century coins would suddenly become very thin, and the few coins that would get into slabs would sell at very high premiums as a result.

I would say that at least 90% of the AU and Mint State "classic coins" have been dipped and have retoned naturally or unnaturally at some point. Some of this dipping was necessary because the coins were unattractive and therefore unsaleable. Most of it was unnecessary and was done either out of ignorance on the part of the owner and for "marketability" on the part of a dealer.

It's rare to find an early coin that is both fully original AND attractive. That's why they bring so much money when they are offered.

This policy would have the least affect on the modern coin and Morgan dollar markets. Believe it or not there are a lot of Morgan dollars that are original and white. The coins were stored away from the air are for many years, which prevented tarnishing and then stored in holders that inhibited it.

The one area of the Morgan market that would be in trouble would be the toned dollar sector. Some of the pieces that are now resting in slabs are about as original as the stuff that one can buy from the Gallery Mint. If all the AT Morgans that are in holders were to suddenly burst out of their plastic homes, there were be a lot of unhappy toned dollar collectors around. 893frustrated.gif

I'd say that the supply of 18th and 19th century coins would suddenly become very thin, and the few coins that would get into slabs would sell at very high premiums as a result.

Completely agree with that. The older the coin, the more likely that it has been lightly cleaned at some point. And the rarer the issue, the more leeway seems to be offered.