• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Medal grading

8 posts in this topic

So does NGC grade/encapsulate medals like the Libertas Americana restrikes from the Paris Mint? I have asked and asked, bit have been ignored pretty much all the time. Any ideas? Thanks. Bob

Libertas_Bronze.jpg

I asked this question in December, 2005 and Jay Turner told me that NGC does not grade medals from the Monnaie de Paris.

Chris

I really don't know why you would want to have that piece slabbed. It's not going to raise the market value of it, and plastic sealed slabs always raise storeage issues with copper pieces because they are moisture traps.

The best reason for storing the piece is some sort of protective holder is that these medals are very prone to injury. If you drop it, even on a carpet, there is a good chance that you will end up with a rim bump.

I have an original Libertas Amerecana medal. I had a custom Capital Plastics holder (double thickness) made for it many years ago. At least I can open that holder if need be.

I agree with Bill. I have quite a large collection of French medals and, at first, I thought it would be nice to have some of them encapsulated. However, after learning that NGC will not grade and encapsulate them, I decided it would be better (for me) to create a nice display cabinet. I will be able to house all of my U.S. and foreign medals in it.

Chris

Alternately, if you want them in a slab you can always talk with ICG. Not only will they slab the coin but will include an attribution on the label.

Scott hi.gif