• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Proof Set Hazing

4 posts in this topic

Being a new collector I've been picking up the 1999-2005 proof sets on ebay as I go. I've noticed a majority of the sets have hazing on the coins. Some aren't bad, some are down right distracting.

Is this due to the packaging? How they were stored? Both?

I'd like to not have this progress any further if I can.

The mint packaging is not safe for long-term storage, unfortunately. Proper stoarage in a cool dry place will reduce the effects but they can't be stopped entirely. There is also the issue of residue on the coins from die grease.

I think the packaging plays a huge roll in hazing. Look at a 1982 s washington proof half dollar or the 1986 s liberty silver dollars. Both of these coins you always find with minor to extreme hazing on the coins.It hard to find them without it. Then look at other coins or sets and you rarely ever see it.

For some reason, the proof sets that were gotten off the bay are the first ones to exhibit these characteristics. The ones that come directly from the mint were not as bad off as those that were stored in unknown conditions, such as high humidity with little or no desiccant to absorb the excess moisture.

One of the 1999 Clad proof sets I got from the mint, all the coins are turning a golden hue of brown. It’s not unattractive, but I think it’s premature. Haven’t look at them for over a year, I must do that to see if there are any other changes

Do not be totally despaired, when the time arrives, the bad ones can be dipped to remove this haze, only problem is they have to be removed from the OGP they came in.

To slow the process that is already occurring, get them out of direct sunlight, excessive temperature changes and to a rather dry area of storage. Silica gel, bags of desiccant will help absorb any excess moisture. Change this often, some even have color tabs to let you know when to change.

Good luck and keep buying the mint’s proof sets, clad & silver. So far since 1999 the values have increased and stabilized or continue to increase by supply and demand. I think it is a good investment and a nice collectable to boot.

Have fun, don't worry, we'd never intentionally steer you wrong.