• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions about "Puttied" Coins

7 posts in this topic

I have heard of gold coins being puttied to cover up distracting marks so they will obtain a higher grade when graded.

My questions are:

What other types of coins are being puttied?

What material is used to putty these coins?

If detected by the grader, will they be bagged for altered surfaces?

I have heard of gold coins being puttied to cover up distracting marks so they will obtain a higher grade when graded.

My questions are:

What other types of coins are being puttied?

What material is used to putty these coins?

If detected by the grader, will they be bagged for altered surfaces?

In answer to your three questions above:

1) I have only heard of gold coins being puttied, though I certainly can't guarantee that to be the case. I believe that other substances are used on silver and/or other (metal) coins.

2) To my understanding, literally, putty is used.

putty - a dough-like mixture of whiting and boiled linseed oil; used especially to patch woodwork or secure panes of glass

3) I believe that graders will body-bag coins that show evidence of having been puttied. The problem is that apparently, putty is initially very difficult to detect. It is only later, if/when it hardens(?) and/or changes color that it is easily detected.

I have a 1913-S Barber dime that was puttied to cover up a small polish spot dimple on the cheek. I also have a Flying Eagle cent that was puttied to cover a small verdigris spot that had been mechanically removed.

Scaped spot behind right wing (was puttied):

1857Cent.jpg

Small dimple between ear and jawline (was puttied):

1913-SDime.jpg

Great manipulated coins Oldtrader3

I had heard the epoxy automotive bondo, the 2 part mixture was used until window glazing compounds were deemed far superior for the more intricate work.

Amended to read: I heard this through the grapevine, I do not practice these types or any other alterations on coins or stamps. That hobby is also full of stamp doctors...anytime easy money can be made, there will be unscrupulous people who use that to their benfit to cheat the customer...and yes, it's cheating, fraud and down right offendable.

Thanks Mark and others for your comments. I have heard Laura Sperber comment of gold coins that have been puttied. I was just wondering what substance was used. It seems to me that it would be hard to match the gold color without it being detected.