• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do we need a 100 point scale?

35 posts in this topic

I've read through several times the comments on another thread about purchasing the coin at the grade just before the big price jump... where one change of grade from MS66 to MS67 [for instance] can bring thousands of dollars. Would the price jumps be a bit more subtle for these pieces if there was in existence a 100 point grading scale?... or... are these pieces sufficiently a "condition rarity" as to warrant the many thousands of dollars (ie...we don't need a 100 point scale). Just a randon thought...Leo

I'm sure if such an extensive scale did exist, that the values scales would be much different than what they are now. I imagine it sure would be hard to get a consistently graded set of certain type coins with this type of scale also.

NO!!! We do not need a 100 point grading scale. The 70 point scale is firmly established so why make grading any more confusing. If the grading services establish a new grading scale it will be for one reason only---to generate revenue by requiring everyone to resubmint their coins to get them regraded.

NO!!! We do not need a 100 point grading scale. The 70 point scale is firmly established so why make grading any more confusing. If the grading services establish a new grading scale it will be for one reason only---to generate revenue by requiring everyone to resubmint their coins to get them regraded.

i feel the same way! dont mess with the system it works fine! if we had a 100 point system all the slabs would have to be re submitted! lets not fix whats not broken smile.gif

If we had a 100 point scale people would start complaining that their MS-90 is really a MS-91. So the next thing would be the 1000 point scale.

The thought of having to send in every blasted coin, including the ones that I wish I did not own, for regrading on a new 100 point scale gives me the running-heebie-geebies. I do believe that I would retire from the hobby and just send everything in for auction that-very-day!

If the TPGs go to a 100-point scale then I am buying Collector's Universe stock (parent company of PCGS) immediately since the profits from resubmissions will be astounding!

No to a 100 point scale.

If there is a need for finer grade distinctions, why not use more intermediate grades if we want to make distinctions. For instance not all AU's are 50, 53, 55 or 58 nor EF's only 40 or 45 or VF's 20, 25, 30 or 35, etc.

All great responses...

TJ [and others]... why don't we ever see grades such as AU52? Is it that four AU grades are sufficient to describe coins in those conditions? I've always thought that just two EF grades was a bit lacking and four VF grades a bit overkill. We currently have eleven MS grades. Is it that we're getting hung up on number designations? ie... there's a "5-point difference between XF45 and AU50, but only a 2-point difference between AU58 and MS60". The whole thing is subjective anyway...

"you say pot[ay]to...I say pot[ah]to...let's call the whole thing off..."

wink.gif

Leo

Do we need to switch to a grading scale which would require more precision, when we can't even agree upon grades under our/the current less precise one? No.

I'll be the dissenting opinion here. I think there's a need/room for another scale for moderns. I've heard talk of a decimal system MS68.3 or PF69.8 kind of thing.

It doesn't have to be incompatiable with the current system

I'll be the dissenting opinion here. I think there's a need/room for another scale for moderns. I've heard talk of a decimal system MS68.3 or PF69.8 kind of thing.

It doesn't have to be incompatiable with the current system

But frequently, people can't differentiate or agree on an MS68 from an MS69, as it is. How will they somehow be able to handle even more precise grade distinctions?

IMHO, the old (pre-TPG) scale of MS60, 63, 65 suited me just fine for it's lack of complexity. The present system, with it's 10X pricing breaks for one scintilla of a bagmark or luster break (seen only with an electron microscope) is a little intimidating and scary (really!).

Do we need to switch to a grading scale which would require more precision, when we can't even agree upon grades under our/the current less precise one? No.

This was my thought as well...

IMHO, the old (pre-TPG) scale of MS60, 63, 65 suited me just fine for it's lack of complexity. The present system, with it's 10X pricing breaks for one scintilla of a bagmark or luster break (seen only with an electron microscope) is a little intimidating and scary (really!).

Exactly my opinion.

Very good point, and perhaps the crux of the problem. Until we can get to a point where we can achieve truly objective grading, we're stuck.

L

Why bother making something more precise that isn't ACCURATE in the first place?

jom

My point as well! You can not take something that is highly subjective and refine it's accuracy. That is an oxymoron! You need a more scientific system to replace it.

My point as well! You can not take something that is highly subjective and refine it's accuracy. That is an oxymoron! You need a more scientific system to replace it.

What an intriguing idea! You place your coin on a scanner and the computer spits out a grade... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmmm but how do we deal with the subject of "eye appeal"... wink.gif

The 100 point grading scale would be a way for the grading services to get to re-slab all the coins that now in holders.

It's a rip-off plain and simple, and intelligent consumers should resist the idea with all the power that they have at their disposal.

Considering the price difference on moderns is like 10X, over a point of grading, I'd rather have a more refined scale.

I can certainly understand an argument over whether a coin is worth $50 or $75 or $100, but when its over whether it's worth $50 or $500, points out a gaping hole in the grading system.

It shows in the pops too, I'd expect a good measurement system to have an approximate bell curve.

Maybe David Lawrence has an answer to the eye appeal issue with their 1 to 5 star rating. Although it still is somewhat subjective.

Considering the price difference on moderns is like 10X, over a point of grading, I'd rather have a more refined scale.

I can certainly understand an argument over whether a coin is worth $50 or $75 or $100, but when its over whether it's worth $50 or $500, points out a gaping hole in the grading system.

It shows in the pops too, I'd expect a good measurement system to have an approximate bell curve.

That was at least part of my initial thinking. The 1892-S Morgan Dollar is a perfect example of where lower grade examples are readily attinable but this is truly a "condition rarity" when you step into the higher AU and MS examples. As others have suggested, you really have to wonder who is behind pushing for a 100-point grading scale.

IMHO... I disagree about a "bell-curve" at least for certain issues. Take the 1950-D Jeff nickel for instance...or the 1955-S Lincoln... these were hoarded by the roll or in some cases by the bag so surviving populations in higher MS conditions are readily available. On the opposite end of the spectrum, early SLQs were used heavily and can be had for just over melt in most cases at low grades. Finding a nicely toned original AU to low MS example...much different story. The shift in the curve is decidedly to the right in terms of condition which shifts the curve to the left in terms of price.

Leo