• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've had these for years (some help for a noob?)

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm normally in the CGC side of this site wasting time with comics, but I have a few coins, (and a few more somewhere in a box) and I'd just like to see if, based on your help, I have anything of value.. and is it true that I should not polish or use ''brasso'' or ''silvo'' kind of things?

scan0014-3.jpgscan0015-3.jpg

news.gif I've been told DO NOT POLISH!! ok thumbsup2.gif

Can you provide some more information on the following such as date, wording etc. I can not tell from the images on these.

2nd coin from the left on the top row.

2nd coin from the right on the top row - Mexico

3rd coin from the left on the second row

Coin on the far right on the second row.

2nd coin from the right on the third row

3rd coin from the left on the last row

The Canadian Quarter Dollar 4th from the left on the last row.

Thanks,

Rey

The three PEI cents (although they could use some help, but not the "brasso" kind of help), the South African 2 Shillings, and the Philippines 10 centavos are worth a few bucks. How many depends on the condition, which I can't tell for sure from the scans.

You might as well buy a new comic book with the two kennedys and the Susan B. wink.gif

I'm not sure about the Canadian Confederation/Coronation? medals. They might be worth something even with the enviromental damage.

and the Canadian 25 cent piece is 80% silver, about $1.90 at spot today. The Napolean coppers, although old, aren't worth much especially in their condition. The Asian cast bronze coins in most cases are a buck or two. I didn't look yours up, though. I didn't id the 1838 coin either, but I'd be surprised if it was worth much given it's condition (looks like a metal detector find). The rest, Canadian 1967 cent, Belgian zinc coin, Mexican bimetal, Swedish Ore are very common coins.

The 1838 I believe shows King Ferdinand (thus the Ferdin on the obverse, perhaps VII. I can not find the exact coin but it may be an 8 Reales.

Rey

The 1871 Prince Edward Island Queen Victoria 1 Cent pieces will depend on their true condition. Currently I can not find values for lower grades but MS 64 is up around $200.00. Yours are not that high of grade, but would need to be looked at closely to determine their true value.

Rey

The 1838 I believe shows King Ferdinand (thus the Ferdin on the obverse, perhaps VII. I can not find the exact coin but it may be an 8 Reales.

Rey

It's a Spanish 8 Maravedis. Probably 1833. My old Krause has $4 for a VG as the lowest valuation.

Can you provide some more information on the following such as date, wording etc. I can not tell from the images on these.

2nd coin from the left on the top row. Looks like it says RIGSBANKT** 1814

2nd coin from the right on the top row - Mexico 1994 (nothing special I'd guess)

3rd coin from the left on the second row EMPIRE F?*** CENTIMES NAPOLEON III E***EREUR 1856

Coin on the far right on the second row. NAPOLEON III EMPEREUR 1854

2nd coin from the right on the third row FERDIN III? D.G.HISP.REX 1832 (I think it's a 2) and there's a picture of a house and an 8 on either side of the head

3rd coin from the left on the last row BELGIE // BELGIQUE with a rearing lion picture 1 F 1943

The Canadian Quarter Dollar 4th from the left on the last row. 1957

Thanks,

Rey

no, thank you, and you and you all for your help.. BTW most of that greenish gunk is kinda like wax or something, i can easily (gently) scrape it off with a fingernail..

The 1871 Prince Edward Island Queen Victoria 1 Cent pieces will depend on their true condition. Currently I can not find values for lower grades but MS 64 is up around $200.00. Yours are not that high of grade, but would need to be looked at closely to determine their true value.

Rey

Whoa! 27_laughing.gif MS 64 confused.gif

2nd coin from the left on the top row. Looks like it says RIGSBANKT** 1814

2nd coin from the right on the top row - Mexico 1994 (nothing special I'd guess)

3rd coin from the left on the second row EMPIRE F?*** CENTIMES NAPOLEON III E***EREUR 1856

Coin on the far right on the second row. NAPOLEON III EMPEREUR 1854

2nd coin from the right on the third row FERDIN III? D.G.HISP.REX 1832 (I think it's a 2) and there's a picture of a house and an 8 on either side of the head

3rd coin from the left on the last row BELGIE // BELGIQUE with a rearing lion picture 1 F 1943

The Canadian Quarter Dollar 4th from the left on the last row. 1957

Thanks,

Rey

no, thank you, and you and you all for your help.. BTW most of that greenish gunk is kinda like wax or something, i can easily (gently) scrape it off with a fingernail..

It's PVC residue from the old style flips (flexible clear 2"x2" holders). They would break down over time and leave a mess on the coins and, if left long enough, damage the surfaces. Using acetone to dissolve the residue is the most common way to remove it.

The Rigsbank Coin is a Danish/Norway coin from 1814. Given the condition it is probably not worth much perhaps a few dollars.

Regarding the MS 64 term and the 1871 coins, MS stands for mint state which ranges from MS 60 to MS 70 with 70 being perfect. An MS coin can show no evidence of wear at all. Don't let the $200.00 get you too excited. I found a web site that lists values for this coin. Depending on the extent of wear on yours they will be anywhere from $1.00 to $11.00 depending on the extent of wear.

Rey

Alright, thanks to you all for your intel. I guess for now I'll just keep them until I know more about what I'm doing (what's another 20 yrs..), and if I find that box I'll be sure to drop in and check you out again!

Thanks.