• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1877 or 1909-S VDB

If you had $1000 to spend, which coin would you purchase first: 1877 Indian Head Cent or 1909-S VDB Lincoln?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. If you had $1000 to spend, which coin would you purchase first: 1877 Indian Head Cent or 1909-S VDB Lincoln?

27 posts in this topic

I started collecting both series (IHCs and Lincolns) as a kid, and as I posted a few weeks ago I'm down to the last two coins to complete each set. As a result of those earlier suggestions, I eliminated the 1869/69 IHC and the 1922-Plain error coins from consideration. I'm now getting a pile of money together and can purchase one of these coins in an effort to complete the series. My question to the group...Which coin would you go after first and why??

I would have to go after the 09. It seems to be a more popular and sought after coin to try to have in a collection. JMO

Leo---- Interesting question. My first thoughts without looking at anything was I'd go after the 1877. Then I punched up total numbers available on Ebay and got 50 for the 1877 and 80 for the 09S VDB. The grading seemed MUCH higher for the 09S VDB coins. Seemed MUCH tougher to find a 'nice' 1877.

So, my old bones feel---as I think the stats bare out---that I'd go for the Indian rather than the Lincoln. Make sure that the one you finally pick is genuine. Bob [supertooth]

My vote went for the IHC because of more than one reason.

I HAD a complete set of FE and IHCs(minus the overdates) that dissapeared in my divorce (take a wild guess who stole them) they averaged out at AU+. My '77 was EF+ and I paid $650 back in the early 80's and I cry everytime I look at prices. foreheadslap.gif

09s was BU, 08s was BU, 78 was so gem that one dealer thought it was fake for some reason, and the FE's were all AU+ with full tail feathers....I've have to stop before I break down frustrated.gif

Ray

I started collecting both series (IHCs and Lincolns) as a kid, and as I posted a few weeks ago I'm down to the last two coins to complete each set. As a result of those earlier suggestions, I eliminated the 1869/69 IHC and the 1922-Plain error coins from consideration. I'm now getting a pile of money together and can purchase one of these coins in an effort to complete the series. My question to the group...Which coin would you go after first and why??
If you're certain that you want one or the other, I'd go after whichever one you first find an especially nice example of at a reasonable price. Let the coin, itself dictate your purchase. Chances are good you will end up with a better representative for your set that way.

To me, I would first want to decide what grade I want for the collection. If it is a high grade, then I would get the IHC first as it is far harder to get and is a little more expensive. If medium grade then they are both about equal to access. Low grade doesn't matter-take your pick. Either coin purchase would need to be through a reputable dealer or a top 2 slab. This kind of money needs protection and while ebay and paypal have pretty good help in these matters you may lose in the end. Best of luck- I voted for the IHC with the info I had. I gave my complete lincoln set(avg circulated) to a disadvantaged child very interested in "copper coins" as he said. I have never regretted it. His father tells me that whenever he slacks off on upgrading the coins, he threatens to give it back to me and Jr. immediately gets to it. I am 40 coins away from a complete uncirculated set with obviously the hardest yet to get-I just bought a 1909 vdb and 1909 BU and am tickled to death. This set will have 305 coins through 2008.Good luck on your efforts.

1877, though both are relatively easy to get.

did you mean it is relativly easy to find? cause i can find them i just cant get them smile.gif

I like the 1877 more but with the 2009 special Lincolns being produced for the 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birth, the 1909SVDB's will only go up in value so I would get that one first.

Congrats on getting to this point Leo,

f you're certain that you want one or the other, I'd go after whichever one you first find an especially nice example of at a reasonable price. Let the coin, itself dictate your purchase. Chances are good you will end up with a better representative for your set that way.

I like Mark Feld's suggestion - it adds a little spice and adventure to the journey. They are both equally worthy acquisitions IMO. Good luck thumbsup2.gif

The 1877 IHC is far tougher in all grades if problem-free, but the 1909-S VDB has a deeper market and is likely to get a big boost in 2009. However, I would buy the 1877 now and snag the 1909-S VDB later.

Leo, first congrats on already achieveing the summit. I know patience is a virtue and waiting on the right coin,will be the reward you are looking for. And when the opportunity presents itself you will make the right choice. May the wait be a short one. 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

My first instinct was to go after the IHC, but as others have mentioned, the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln is fast approaching and I think it may cause a jump in asking prices for the '09SVDB at that time. I'd go after it, now, while the prices are relatively stable. If I recall correctly, the '77 already had a substantial jump in price within the last 18-24 months.

Chris

Thanks for all of the advice. I certainly don't want to close the door on a good deal for either coin so I'll be on the lookout for both as the search continues. My pocketbook is going to be the limiting factor here but I'm still thinking I should be able to get a problem free VG for the 1877 (nice F12's I believe are past my price point) or a decent VF for the 09-S VDB. L

I agree with those who advise you to look for both and buy either when a fair deal comes along. Between the two, the 1877 is scarcer, and it has the higher profile among "real" Indian cent collectors.

Be prepared to pay "too much" for either of them. The market for key dates has become overheated because of those folks who only buy key date coins and forget about the rest of the set. I'd say that people do that have more speculator in them than collector.

I've been looking for a mid grade (Choice VF to AU) 1877 for a customer. All the quotes I've gotten for coins in EF and AU holders (although a couple of the coins did not come up to what it said on the holder IMO) were at Coin Prices levels and beyond. I found coin in an EF-40 holder that didn’t even have a full “LIBERTY,” and the weakness was NOT due to strike. It didn’t make any difference. The dealer who showed it to me had the coin sold before the end of the Baltimore show. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Some people have more money that brains. insane.gif

Bill... Do you think this is a symptom of an overheated market in general and perhaps it would behoove me to wait a couple of years to procure either piece?

Leo

Bill... Do you think this is a symptom of an overheated market in general and perhaps it would behoove me to wait a couple of years to procure either piece?

Leo

The longer you wait the more they will cost. Buy them now!

Leo

If I could predict that, I'd take "long" or "short" position in the market.

Seriously don't get the idea that prices ALWAYS go up. Back in the late 1960's and for a good part of the '70s, ALL Indian cents were a drug on the market. No one seemed to want them, and the prices drifted lower. That could happen again especially since the prices have gotting so high.

The asking price for an EF 1877 Indian was $2,600.00 to me at the Baltimore show. Less than 10 years ago the coin was hard sell for a properly graded one at $850. The 1877 Indian cent is scarce, but it's no rarity by any means.

Bill... I completely understand! While I certainly don't want to get hammered should the market take a dive, I think I'm more of a collector and in it over the long haul than taking it short. Certainly it would be nice to make a nice profit when I go to sell these 30 or so years from now. I guess I just want to purchase the most coin I can...Leo

Personally I would go with the 1877. It is a "true" key date in an obsolete series. The 09-s vbd's have appreciated considerably in the last 5 years.