• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An 1897 S morgan with a problem....Actually..

15 posts in this topic

Can't say for sure looks almost like a Mildew, and hope it is not some active 893whatthe.gif

PVC damage

A film, usually green, left on a coin after storage in flips that contain PVC. During the early stage, this film may be clear and sticky. tongue.gif

Edit to add since it is in OGH hope it is on plastic not coin. thumbsup2.gif

I believe if you would send it back to PCGS they would reslab it, as I believe it is the plastic and not the coin. Look just above the first T and A in states and you will see two instances of the discoloration that are past the edge of the coin. At least I hope this is the case. Good luck in any case.

It looks as though it follows a straight line on the left side from the "O" in ONE to the "A" in STATES as if it was residue from some type of adhesive tape. I agree that it may be on the slab because it does extend past the coin above STATES.

Chris

Is that a rattler? If so, the coin can move when you rattle it around. What happens to the "toning" when it moves in the holder?
No It's on the coin and it is in a straight line and It has just developed as I would never bought it with it there... confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, then, if you want out from under this coin I will offer you $50 for it as is, with the disease.
27_laughing.gif Double it add S/H and we can talk about it.

My guess is that it's PVC and if so, it will almost certainly get worse over time. I'd recommend either selling it as is (with disclosure) or having PCGS "conserve" it. The latter would cause you to lose the benefit of the older holder, however - that's why I also mentioned the first alternative. wink.gif

My guess is that it's PVC and if so, it will almost certainly get worse over time. I'd recommend either selling it as is (with disclosure) or having PCGS "conserve" it. The latter would cause you to lose the benefit of the older holder, however - that's why I also mentioned the first alternative. wink.gif
I think that Pcgs should have a shot at it...I am a firm believer in allowing someone the chance to make it right so I guess the next question is whats the process...

The latter would cause you to lose the benefit of the older holder.......

Isn't that one of the old PVCGS holders? I'd send it back to them and see what they say. What good is the old holder if it has crud in it?

Chris

I think that Pcgs should have a shot at it...I am a firm believer in allowing someone the chance to make it right so I guess the next question is whats the process...
When you submit it to PCGS, check "other" on the submission form. Include a note indicating that the coin has developed a substance on the surfaces since the time you acquired it and ask that they remove it. There should not be any charge for the service.

Here are a couple of things to keep in mind: 1) It might take a long time to get it back and 2) you might not like the end result.

Best of luck and please let us know how it turns out.