• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Abominable Bastards

10 posts in this topic

Otherwise known as the transitional pieces the 1834 CBH; O-116, O-114, & O-113 were known as the abominable bastards because they were made from a master die that Kneass was experimenting with and they were not similar to the rest of the 1834 design types. Souders argues in Bust Half Fever that these transitional pieces make an entire subtype of the CBHs and says that they can still be had for type coin prices. I have two questions about this…

1) Did I understand my reading correctly? Are these the facts as we know them?

2) Are these possible sleepers and certainly worth buying if one didn’t have an 1834 in their date set anyway?

Thanks for any insight thumbsup2.gif!

I believe Ivan Leaman prepared copious notes regarding this date and these issues in particular and pushed this theory, and name, for these coins. I have read nothing to refute the theory and the coins themselves support the idea that there was extensive work ongoing regarding design elements. Personally, I think these varieties are neat, but would not be hoarding them since I do not believe there will be a groundswell of interest in them, nor do I believe they deserve that amount of interest. Lastly, since the 1834 issue is so plentiful, there is little to gain by stocking up on them.

Yes, Dr. Ivan Leaman is mentioned in the book as laying some of the foundation for this theory and coining the term (get it insane.gif) “Abominable Bastards.” I wasn’t thinking of stocking up on them, although I get your drift about them not being sleepers. I was just thinking that it maybe neat to have one as part of my date set. I need an 1834 anyway.

Chad, I was hoping that the thread title would attract some attention wink.gif

As Tom said Dr. Leaman coined the term and did the overlay work which determined these were from new master dies and hubs. So yes, they probably should be refered to as a different sub-series. However, they are always so badly struck compared to other '34's that I don't know why anyone other than an Overton collector would want one.

IMO, the only way they will ever engender any collecting excitment will be because of inclusion in the Red Book. I don't, however, expect that to happen in the forseeable future.

Ivan's writings on this subject can be found in the very rare publication known as Bust Half Dollar Bibliomania, by Brad Karoleff, published in 1996 or thereabouts. I don't recall seeing this offered for sale in a long time, so if you see a copy for sale, it may sell for a lot of money.

If I recall correctly, the significance of the ABs is that this was the first US coin that was fully hubbed. This alone should get them in the Red Book.

In April a copy of the Bust Half Dollar Bibliomania, that SlumLord98 mentioned, sold in an auction held by Lake Books for $50. smile.gif

Yeah, and I missed it. I've been hunting for a copy for a few years now. If anybody out there happens to see a copy for sale (and of course doesn't want it themselves) please let me know.

I've looked over some pictures of these, and the only really remarkable difference I see (i.e. to someone who is just glancing at them) is the shape of the arrow heads. I've read the diagnostics, but you'd really have to know the series to pick up on the others right off. I kind of like the narrower arrowheads.