• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will the instant sell-out ( 2 hrs.) fo the First Spouse gold coins insure....

17 posts in this topic

that the subsequent 10 years of gold spouse coins will be the most sought after modern series ?

I say, yes. Collectors will also be pitted against dealers for the next 10 years to obtain these gold coins at the issue price. Next year probably everyone interested in placing an order with the US Mint will try to obtain access via high speed computers. Don't be shut-out try, Apple Power Mac G5 with Aspen Bundle.

So far as this series is concerned I'm OUT.

I've been a collector since 1960, and I have never seen a U.S. series that I disliked more. The issue prices are too high, the set is too expensive and the subject matter is too trivial.

While all the hype continues, one fact remains. The mintage for each coin, in Proof and Uncirculated, is limited to 20,000 pieces. That mintage might prove to higher than you might think. Given the high gold content of these coins, a lot of collectors are going to say "no way!" because of the expense. These coins will always have a floor under them because each one contains a 1/2 ounce of gold. It remains to be seen how much collector interest will drive the prices above that. Martha Washington and Abigail Adams were famous First Ladies. Let's see if collector interest will continue when we get to the “unknown” First Ladies, like Jame Pierce and Mrs. Polk. I predict that collector interest and demand will hit the skids.

The issue prices are too high, the set is too expensive and the subject matter is too trivial.

I'm not a fan of these either. I hope my friends do well in their investments, but I'm not a fan of the series.

The issue prices are too high, the set is too expensive and the subject matter is too trivial.

I'm not a fan of these either. I hope my friends do well in their investments, but I'm not a fan of the series.

Although I do like the Thomas Jefferson first spouse coin: classic liberty. I predict this one will always be the best seller.

Yep, all the coins that bring back past designs will have a huge following, not only for those few souls who choose to attempt a set of these ladies, but for the ones who collect the type depicted on the new gold coins.

So far as this series is concerned I'm OUT.

I've been a collector since 1960, and I have never seen a U.S. series that I disliked more. The issue prices are too high, the set is too expensive and the subject matter is too trivial.

I participated in a discussion group for a US Mint marketing research project last week and it might surprise you to know just to similar your comments are to the comments of the older people in the group (I say older because I'm only 20, so it's relative I guess).

What happens 10 years from now when we get to the recent presidents and we have a dead president and first lady who's still living? This is not a certainty, of course, but it's quite possible. Say Nancy Reagan lives until then, or Carter or Bush I dies and his widow is alive at the time that he is honored on a coin. Will the First Spouse coin feature a first lady who is still alive? Has this been done before, where a coin was minted that featured a person still living?

I had plans to put together a proof and unc set.

The way it started gave me a reason to forget it.

At issue price there was little down side if you consider the value of the gold. I'm sure I can find other coins to buy. smile.gif

isnt the sac dollar the only coin to feature a living person?

The Peace dollar was made to look like the designer's wife. Other than that, none that I can think of. The Sac Dollar wasn't really of a living person, it's just that the image was based on a living person for a reference. The coin is still supposed to be of Sacagawea, not the modern model.

Sacagawea's dead. The image was based on a living model, but it represents a dead person. I don't know of any coin that's honored a person still living.

OK what happens if Hillary makes it what about bill ??He needs a coin or maybe a set for wifes he's slept with other than Hillary

sign-funnypost.gif

I can think of only three U.S. coins that depicted a person who alive at the time they were available. The first was the 1926 Sesquicentennial half dollar that depicted Calvin Coolidge with George Washington as the first and (then) latest presidents.

The second was the Arkansas – Robinson commemorative half dollar, which pictured then Senate majority leader Joseph Robinson. I believe Robinson was alive when some of the coins were sold, but it’s touch and go on that one. He was definitely alive when the Congress passed legislation for the coin.

The third piece was the Special Olympics commemorative silver dollar that featured Ennis Kennedy Shriver.

Most of the sculptors of coins used live models to base their images on. Rumor has it that some of the original images of Liberty were actually modelled on Martha Washington. But yes, Bill Jones is right, as usual. There were three coins minted with still living persons on them.

Getting back to the matter at-hand and the topic of the post ...

I have not been buying these coins because of the expense. Grad student salary and all that jazz. HOWEVER, I am strongly considering buying the Jefferson's Liberty coin, and possibly more than one. I'm thinking of purchasing three, just like some folks who have way more free cash than I did with the 20th anniversary gold eagles: One to keep, one for very fast turn-around, and one to sell down-the-road. I recently made a commercial photography sale and I think I can somehow convince myself to use the money from that to fund it in terms of prospecting.