• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quarter Eagle (Off Center)

26 posts in this topic

Yes, I looked at the picture. How else would I not know what the error was? I still don't see an off center coin in your image, are you certain you are linking the proper image?

I also see the irregularities in the denticles, however, I don't believe this to be due to an off center strike. Rather, I think the striking pressure was not uniform, or, there was some post minting damage. I would lean to an uneven strike. In my opinion, and I am not an expert on errors, this coin would not be an error and would not be off center.

Given that the "error" is either hard to see or non-exsistant I'd say there would be no premium on this coin, IMO.

jom

Hmmm ..I don't believe I'm the only one who can see the error. I'm new to all this coin stuff so please take that into account.

Ok at twelve o'clock on the coin you will see a nice flat rim on the edge, which is outside the "beads".

At 6 o'clock you will see that the "beads " go right to the edge of the coin.

I have done a little research on the net and have found out that errors on gold coins are very rare. Here is a link to to a coin that is just a little bit more off center that the one I have a it sold for 13,500, Take a look and tell me what you think?

http://www.raregoldcoins.com/get_cotm.asp?cotmYear=2002&cotmMonth=3

Well, this makes it more interesting to a degree but definitely, there are collectors out there who get excited about this type of error. Your coin may be 1-2% off. I have one certified coin that's been labeled a "partial collar" error. The coin itself has two misaligned collars on the third side if I said that right but there's nothing broadstrucked about it. I can't take a pic of it since it's in a slab.

Good luck with your coin, you may have something there if the error is considered significant enough.

Leo

Hi Bruce,

Your coin appears as if it has solder residue in the center. If so, it may have been a piece of jewelry or part of a cufflink. If that is indeed the case, the coin may have be altered at one point, giving an unusual appearance.

TRUTH

Howdy, Bruce.

The coin that sold for $13K was a broadstruck error, struck without the collar around the edges in order to keep the metal from bulging out around the rim as the planchet is struck. That's why it brought such a premium.

I can see what you mean about your example being slighly off-center but I believe that this is fairly common. It certainly is common on modern coins.

Even though you may not have a mini-treasure, it is still a good collectable.

Good luck.

You can lead a horse to water...

Why don't you send it in to the third party certification service of your choice as an error and see how the coin comes back? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I can't speak for other grading services, but NGC would not label your coin as a mint error or anything out of the ordinary. The slight misalignment of the die is too trivial to add any value. frown.gif

Here is a email I recieved from Sarah at Customer Service.

Mr. xxxxxx,

>

> I have asked our error expert, Dave Camire, and he says it sounds like

your

> coin may have had misaligned dies, and depending on the severity, we MIGHT

> label it as a mint error. We would need to see the coin in person to

> evaluate it and determine how it would be labeled.

>

> Sincerely,

>

> Sarah Martin

> NGC - Customer Service 1(800)642-2646.

>

I can't speak for other grading services, but NGC would not label your coin as a mint error or anything out of the ordinary. The slight misalignment of the die is too trivial to add any value. frown.gif

Mr Lange is one of the guns at NGC.I think I would take his advice and save a couple dollars.