• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interesting article on How to buy coins on EBAY

12 posts in this topic

Chris.

An interesting and informative article. While nothing is foolproof, it does help to cover as many bases as possible when buying on eBay. Thanks for linking that.

Hlo Chris

Hey great article and great link.........explains alot on what to look for when shopping for coins at Ebay.

One great thing about ebay is that most people post pictures of each coin. One thing new collectors might not be aware of is the grading of most coins by the persons selling them.................dont believe everything written on the 2 x 2 protective cover.

Unless you are going to get crazy with a proxy bid on a coin.........the best way to bid is right before the bid time is up..............( it says on each auction to the second )

Fire in your best bid with 1 min or under and you tend to win most of them.

So............get your clock right .............down to the second with ebay..........

I use this link to set my clock.

Offical Goverment Time

In other words dont show your hand until your down to the last minute.......that way it keeps down the price...............which is a good thing.

My first couple of years back into collecting, I bought about 100 coins on eBay. In the last two years I think I bought one. It is so rare that I find anything even interesting that it is depressing. So either sellers are using eBay less and less for good stuff or my judgment has improved or both.

My first couple of years back into collecting, I bought about 100 coins on eBay. In the last two years I think I bought one. It is so rare that I find anything even interesting that it is depressing. So either sellers are using eBay less and less for good stuff or my judgment has improved or both.

eBay's coin catagory has largely been taken over by the dealers. Quite predictably they have destroyed much of its appeal. These days most of the lots have high starting prices or near retail reserves. Who needs that? The dealers also use it as a dumping ground for the coins that they can't sell in their stores or at shows. You can still find good coins on eBay but you really have to hunt these days.

I purchased quite a few modern dimes, dollars and halves on E-Bay back when I was building those sets. I stopped buying there about 18 months ago after a couple bad experiences. I find most of my coins in Auctions now and have better luck with quality. Plus, the sets that I am collecting now are much harder to find coins for.