• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to use acetone on a Potentially PVC damaged morgan

11 posts in this topic

Could someone give me a breakdown of the steps and precautions to take. Here is a picture of the damage:

WebDSC05225.jpg

Someone tipped me off that this may be PVC damage and I'd like to try to remove it ASAP.

Thanks!

You could use acetone on this. Rinse and dry, like shampoo, wash, rinse repeat. From the pics, this looks like a very nice candidate for a PL/DMPL Morgan. I think I would try the acetone first so as not to lose any luster or possible toning that this coin may have. If this doesn't clean it, then maybe a quick bath in dip (EZ-Zest). This is just my opinion. I don't claim to be an expert at this but just saying what my steps would be.

Could someone give me a breakdown of the steps and precautions to take. Here is a picture of the damage:

WebDSC05225.jpg

Someone tipped me off that this may be PVC damage and I'd like to try to remove it ASAP.

Thanks!

I did a little tweaking of your pic to see if I could tell what you were talking about as far as PVC..

WebDSC052251.jpg

To be honest If you are talking about the right side around the rim I can't say that it Is PVC...It could just be toning.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think I would be giving this coin an acetone bath as well.

First off be sure you are using just acetone.

Use a shot glass the right size to keep the surface of the coin from touching the glass. Put the coin in and cover it with the acetone. Put a small object on top of the glass and let it set for an hour or so. Rinse the coin and the glass with water and do it all over again. You may need to do this several times. Part of the trick to this is knowing that the pvc is dissolved in the acetone and each fresh bath will carry more of it away. Don't rub the coin in any way.

Edit to add. I forgot to say that what's under the pvc may not look any better. The toning may not match the rest of the coin and you may see hairlines you did not see before the bath. It's always a gamble.

I think I would be giving this coin an acetone bath as well.

First off be sure you are using just acetone.

Use a shot glass the right size to keep the surface of the coin from touching the glass. Put the coin in and cover it with the acetone. Put a small object on top of the glass and let it set for an hour or so. Rinse the coin and the glass with water and do it all over again. You may need to do this several times. Part of the trick to this is knowing that the pvc is dissolved in the acetone and each fresh bath will carry more of it away. Don't rub the coin in any way.

The only things I might add to that excellent post:

- Remember, acetone is as flammable as flammable gets. Treat it like a bomb.

- Contrary to the above poster, my first dip in acetone is for an hour; if that does not work, the second one is overnight. After such a longer treatment, the coin gets swished in fresh acetone before the water rinse. If you can ever see cloudiness in the acetone, change it immediately.

- Most would recommend distilled water for rinsing. I have always used warm tap water, followed by immediate drying by placing the coin on an old cotton T-shirt. Place it, flip it, repeat a couple times in new spots. So far, I've never seen any water spots.

For the record, I've never had to treat Proofs or really high-dollar coins. In such cases, I would definitely switch to distilled water and more frequent bath changes.

Acetone can also be very destructive to many plastic vinyl type materials found in modern homes such as sinks, countertops, and flooring. Wood floor coatings as well. Be careful of spills.

First remedy in case of eye contact is immediately flush with lots and lots of tap water. thumbsup2.gif