• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unidentified token, possible Civil War Token

8 posts in this topic

I purchase this token on Ebay last week and am having trouble attributing it. I found a reference online which link was out of date and very sketchy: THE DECLARATION/ OF. INDEPENDENCE WAS ADOPTED/ JULY 4 1776. DeWitt states that 100 copies were struck by Robinson in Copper, White Metal. My token is copper, 19.29 mm and weighs 4.3 grams. The size would be right for a civil war token but it isn't listed by Fuld and it doesn't show up in DeWitts American Political Badges and Medalets. Any ideas?

It's really a nice piece. thx, JDC hail.gif

1870470-Declaration.jpg.de03d2804c433bc796505e3c3d5a234b.jpg

possibly a pre or civil war token 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

issued by a merchant as this theme was popular and debated right before and during the first year of the civil war

Nice that it mentions Jefferson and Adams. According to historian Fred Anderson in his The War That Made America book, George Washington considered Jefferson and Adams to be "dangerous radicals" before he joined the war effort (and possibly after as well?).

Hey Doug,

My gut tells me that this has a very "new" look to it.

The font of the letters and the look in general give me a feeling this in a modern token of some kind, possibly as something along the lines Conder suggested.

I agree this may be some type of Centennial piece circa 1870's, but the overall toning, strike, denticles workmanship was very similar to the 113/114Aa I purchased from the same seller. The 113 & 114A dies are believed to be by Montgomery Burr of the Philadelphia, PA area and the denticle work on the 113 die and the Independence token are nearly identical and the font work on the 114A die and the Independence token are nearly identical. gossip.gif.

1871711-George.jpg.ab27e519ccf11a4f88cc250bba40623f.jpg