• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will original coins ever have their day?

12 posts in this topic

Will original coins ever have their day? The supply of early US in true original condition shrinks every day as more and more coins are dipped, cleaned or "conserved". I have believed for years that original coins will someday bring premiums but so far it has not come to pass.

I wonder if this is a function of the Morgan Dollar market where "blast white" is what most of the participants demand.

Another area where originality is ignored is copper-nickel Indian Cents. The "market", whatever that is, seems to hold that C-N Indians must be bright in order to merit a grade of MS65 or up. This attitude just encourages dipping. The best C-N Indian I own is an 1860 Type I graded MS64 by SEGS. (Please, no comments about SEGS grading. This coin is nice!) It is a 100% original, fully struck gem that has an even and attractive toned surface. I feel the proper grade for the coin is MS66, toned.

Will original coins ever have their day? What do you think?

shhhhhhh 893naughty-thumb.gif Don't get some of these dipped out Morgan collectors on to us. I feel there are many collectors out there who desire and crave originality in their coins. I think a major factor here is experience and years of collecting involved, that is, the longer true collectors learn and collect coinage, the more original pieces they begin to collect.

I guess it depends on how you would define " have their day ". If you are referring to their level of popularity - among certain collectors they are already extremely popular.

And if you are referring to their price levels - again they often bring substantial premiums. And for this reason I sincerely hope that they NEVER achieve what I would call " fad " status in regard to popularity because then many collectors who have long collected such coins could never afford them.

Of course if one is only interested in selling - then that is another story.

well for me i agree with you on the original coins

as long as they are eye appealling

one thing i do not mind if proof coins are dipped conserved blast white as this is how they came from the dies for collectors and as long as they are properly conserved and have great eye appeal i really do not mind these coins in fact if they have mirrors with no distractionas and look like they were just struck then for me that is okie added that they have amazing eye appeal!

mintstate coins i absolutely hate dipped blast white as they were just made for circulation and an original toned/white both thick crusty toned or neatly toned with great eye appeal AND wonderful coins totALLY UNDERVALUED and rare these will become in demand as collectoes mature as they all do but it is a process many to most all collectors become it is a process but it takes time

michael

Michael,

You're right! Appreciation of original, eye-appealling coins is a process. Thanks to you, I had this process put into high gear! You're a good man with lots of numismatic savy who does not hesitate to share that knowledge. Thanks, Mike! 893applaud-thumb.gif

It'll happen the day eye appeal is removed from the grading forumla. AT'ing coins will stop the following day. Don't hold your breath, though.

Good point but it isn't necessarily the "grading" that is taking so-called eye appeal into account but the PRICE these coins are going for. AT coins that are being slabbed are selling for huge money. That will sustain the coin doctors and their practices.

Both dipping (too much) and AT'ing coins do the same damage over time....so either one can ruin nice original coins.

jom

IMHO, many experienced collectors want original coins. I think that many inexperienced collectors and some dealers do most of the dipping. I have not dipped any coin minted before 1950, or any coin (for that matter) that was not badly spotted, for many years. It has been at least 20 years since I dipped an older coin. It is my also opinion that many small coin shops arbitrarily decide what will sell to their particular customers and dip accordingly, unless the coin is slabbed.

Plus, how many coins have been in the same slabs for 15 years? Many of my white certified coins are in old green label PCGS or earlier NGC slabs. A few (probably dipped and not properly rinsed) of these white coins have changed color in the slab, but most have not. These coins may stay white for many years. I am not going to sell a nice MS64/65/66 coin just because it is lustrous white.

Also, what about US Gold? I collect Liberty Half-eagles and Saints. Some of these certified coins (Lib. Half-Eagles) have visible copper spots. These spots lessen the value of that coin, in some cases, by a full grade. If these coins can be conserved without losing their toning/luster, should this be done? I am undecided about this issue.

I guess it depends on the series and personal preference. Personally, luster and details are the two most important factors, to ME. If there's luster hidden under black toning, I want to see it. On well circulated coins, like my F-VF set of Walkers, though, I'd consider it a crime to dip any of them. They look better "dirty". The dirt actually enhances the depth of the devices, bringing out details that otherwise couldn't be seen with the naked eye.

thanks victor! you are very kind

but i got you fooled..........lol

for me

with coins that first meet my approval as extraordinary and extraspecial and good values

the most important key to that coin is EYE APPEAL

michael