• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

take a look at the toning on this morgan...

8 posts in this topic

81morgan.jpg

it's on teletrade in a 62 holder. please someone who knows about the toning process explain to me how these vibrant colors form i mean i know theres canvas bags and rolls and all that jazz but how does this happen?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Basically to get toning you have to have a reaction agent and air. The area closest to the reaction agent tones first laying down a layer of toning that spreads slowly to the areas more distant to the reaction agent. As the layer gets thicker, the color changes creating a predictable "rainbow." That is why the order of colors is helpful in determining whether a coin is "artificially" toned. Also since the field is often futher away from the reaction agent than the devices, the colors on the fields or inside letters are often different from the colors on the devices or letters themselves. Also, if there is no air between the coin and the reaction agent, you don't get the colors.

As for the specific chemical reaction involved in toning, I leave that to the chemists. I'm sure there are a few chemists on the forum who can explain that for you.

cool.gif

It's completely original. Read my website and then come back with any remaining questions you might have regarding this coin.

I'd say Skyman would be the guy to talk to. it looks AT to me, but what do I know.

Definately NT - bag toned, The toning results from the coin laying against the canvas bag, Silver is a highly reative metal, it reacts with sulfer in the air and any residual sulfer in the canvas from the manufacuing proces to form a thin film of silver sulphide which as it (the silver sulphide) increases in thickness causes the toning to appear because of the physical phenominum of thin film interference.

Think of an oil slick on water and the rainbow colors you see. That's caused by the film of oil on the surface of the water which interfers with the reflectivity and refraction of the light as it passes thru the oil and then reflects back off of the water.

I'd say Skyman would be the guy to talk to. it looks AT to me, but what do I know.

Definately NT - bag toned, The toning results from the coin laying against the canvas bag, Silver is a highly reative metal, it reacts with sulfer in the air and any residual sulfer in the canvas from the manufacuing proces to form a thin film of silver sulphide which as it (the silver sulphide) increases in thickness causes the toning to appear because of the physical phenominum of thin film interference.

Think of an oil slick on water and the rainbow colors you see. That's caused by the film of oil on the surface of the water which interfers with the reflectivity and refraction of the light as it passes thru the oil and then reflects back off of the water.

Yeah, what he said... Construct's comments were also very good. I'd say that sucker is NT. Pretty coin too.